Smoked Meatloaf ... My take

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bacon_crazy510

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
St Charles, MO
So I love all things meatloaf, but don't make it too often. I decided I need to change that ...

I researched about 17 recipes online, and came up with my own take. Here goes....

1 while onion, diced and sweated down
5 cloves garlic, added to onions near the end of their sweat
1 roasted red bell pepper, added to onions and garlic
15 white mushrooms, processed until finely minced, and sautéed down, juice drained into the bread penade
1-1/2 cups fresh bread, minced and soaked with 1-1/2 cups of milk, with added mushroom juice (why not try to keep the flavor???) .. I drained it once it was fully soaked with milk/mushroom juice
2 eggs
1/2 cup of shredded parmigiana cheese
1/2 cup of minced flat leaf parsley
1-1/2 pounds of ground sirloin
1-1/2 pounds of locally made sweet italian sausage, removed from the casing
A healthy pinch of salt and black pepper

I mixed everything by hand until it became tacky, just like mixing sausage farce. I'm trying to keep it a little more firm through the cooking process. Once mixed, I seasoned it with Meat Church's Holy Gospel, and put it in the Yoder YS640S at 300F with thermometers set to alert me at 165 F.

I roasted a head of garlic earlier, and will have the meatloaf with roasted garlic/sour cream/butter mashed yukon gold potatoes later tonight.

Here goes nothing!!!

thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail-3.jpeg
thumbnail-1.jpeg
thumbnail-2.jpeg
thumbnail-4.jpeg
thumbnail-5.jpeg

Last edited:
I like your take on the meatloaf, sounds like you’re off to a great start.

Mushroom powder is added to burger to give it that “umami” flavor. Great idea with the meatloaf.

Reactions: bacon_crazy510
It will be great. The sausage will kind of dominate the flavor profile, but it will taste delicious!

Your are right noboundaries noboundaries ... the italian sausage is a dominant flavor. I was only going to add 1/2 pound, but my overly friendly meat market man threw in an extra link of sausage, so I used it. Next time I'd reduce the amount of italian sausage.

Here are some finished pictures. I cut into it a little too soon, and it was very soft. I waited another 10 minutes and it firmed up nicely, and I got a clean slice.

The sausage flavor is strong. Next time I'll use less, and also maybe use a different type of sausage, like pork and garlic.

thumbnail-6.jpeg
thumbnail-7.jpeg
thumbnail-8.jpeg

Nice combo of flavors. The end result is beautiful. I recently made one from a similar recipe. I sliced it and layered it into my Lasagna. A very hardy supper...JJ

I have a recipe I call my Italian Meatball Meatloaf. I've made it with a couple types of sausage (breakfast and Italian), even cutting the sausage the flavor tends to dominate. That said, I make a coating of tomato paste, ketchup, italian seasoning, minced garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, and a little red wine to thin if needed. I apply the coating about 30-45 minutes from the estimated finish time. Sooo good. Dang. Must be time to clean out my smoker. I'm craving meatloaf!

I have a recipe I call my Italian Meatball Meatloaf. I've made it with a couple types of sausage (breakfast and Italian), even cutting the sausage the flavor tends to dominate. That said, I make a coating of tomato paste, ketchup, italian seasoning, minced garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, and a little red wine to thin if needed. I apply the coating about 30-45 minutes from the estimated finish time. Sooo good. Dang. Must be time to clean out my smoker. I'm craving meatloaf!

Great googlily moogily noboundaries noboundaries That sounds good! Care to share the recipe?

Okay, my recipe is on an old computer with no connectivity to this computer (the recipe program I used is no longer available so the new computer can't read the files). So, after trying a bunch of things, the only way I THINK I can post the recipe is to post it as a PDF file. Let's see if it works.

Attachments

• Ray's Italian Meatball Meatloaf.pdf
    546.9 KB · Views: 34
Okay, my recipe is on an old computer with no connectivity to this computer (the recipe program I used is no longer available so the new computer can't read the files). So, after trying a bunch of things, the only way I THINK I can post the recipe is to post it as a PDF file. Let's see if it works.

Looks good to me noboundaries noboundaries !!!! I'll give this recipe a try next time. Thanks for sharing!!!

Lots of great ingredients. A couple of months ago, I went to make meat balls and discovered we were out of breadcrumbs. My Wife then said we had Stuffing Mix, would that work? Gave it a try and won't be going back!...JJ

Looks very good. I LOVE meatloaf. I made a few with 4lb venison to 1lb hot italian with uncooked stuffing. Made a bunch of small ones and they freeze great. Easy to pull out of freezer and kids love it. These pics are making e hungry! Nice job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky