Unstuffing the Cabbage Roll

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
During Pittsburgh's industrial heyday, many small ethnic communities sprung up around the steel mills . Western Pennsylvania attracted many immigrants from Eastern Europe who brought with them their wonderful cultural cuisine. One of these delicious recipes were Halupkis, which are stuffed cabbage rolls. These wonderful rolls can be time consuming to prepare but are always worth the effort. However, for those with time constraints, this can be an easy alternative.

Unstuffed Cabbage

Ingredients:

1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup water
3 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 can (14.5 ounces) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon ground black pepper (more to taste)
1 teaspoon sea salt (more to taste)

IMG_1831.JPG

Preparation:

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the ground beef and onions, stirring until the ground beef is no longer pink and the onions are tender.*
Add the garlic and continue cooking for another minute.

Add the chopped cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and salt & pepper.
Bring the mixture to a boil and stir regularly.
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender.

Easy Peasy!

*After frying the meat and onions the whole recipe can be completed in a slow cooker if desired.

Meat and onions frying away:
IMG_1832.JPG

Cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and salt & pepper added:
IMG_1834.JPG

After 30 minutes of simmering:
IMG_1836.JPG

Cabbage will give off additional water when cooked. If you feel the mixture is too watery you can continue simmering with the lid off until you are satisfied with the texture.

Enjoying the fruits of your labor.
IMG_1837.JPG

This recipe should yield 6 to 8 servings.

Enjoy,

John

Last edited:
Love stuffed cabbage. Mom used to make it. I have made it a few times myself. This looks really good I think I am going to have to try this.

That looks phenomenal John, I definitely need to try this! Thanks for posting the recipe and tutorial! 🍻

My Granny used to make the best cabbage rolls and I may have to snag this unstuffed idea. Lol although I think she had a pound of butter in there and did a 50/50 mix of beef and pork.

This seems way easier tho!

Although I'm wondering if I could smoke the ground meat first 🤔

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks great John , and love cabbage rolls, but must admit I normally just eat the innards. I like cabbage just not a lot and love it raw also.
I can see this being made here. As Mona and her mom Love a good cabbage roll.
Thanks for the how to.

David

Hell yeah, that looks good.

Your recipe is almost the same as what we make for cabbage soup.
Only differences are we add Italian parsley and Basil.
Yep, When the cabbage cooks down the mixture can become a soup consistency. Just take the cover off and continue simmering until the mixture thickens.

Either way. . .Pretty good stuff,

John

Reactions: chilerelleno
That looks fantastic !
Thanks Chop. . .Coming from you really means something!

Man that is a soul warming bowl of goodness right there.

Jim
Thanks Jim. . .That is why I call my cabbage rolls Comfort Food For the Soul.

Take care my friends,

John

Reactions: JLeonard
Mighty tasty looking John.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky