smoked grinders fer lunch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gypsyseagod

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 5, 2007
standing over the pit- kentucky
fer ya that don't know- a grinder is basically a philly cheese steak w/ extras.

i used some smoked milanesa cut beef(ya can use thin sliced pork or roast)
smoked or skillet fried onion,garlic,& mushrooms over melted provalone & swiss cheese
thin sliced bell pepper & black olives
lettuce & tomatoes
mayo,spicy mustard,italian dressing,bleu cheese dressing(believe it or not)..whatever...
on a toasted 6" hoagie bun(i like the toasted onion deli buns)
w/ zesty spiced curly fries & a dill wedge on the side & au jus or horse raddish dip
man it was good......

well smoke the meat & thin slice it -then chop it diagonally.
history of a grinder-the cheese steak is basically the same thing but they were called "grinders" cause it was a typical lunch eaten by men that worked the east coast ship yards grinding off the rivet heads for ships during ww1

lil' history there lol

Nice! That sounds great Gypsy... but next time, let me know what time to be there!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well Gypsy I'll give you that it sounds AWESOME! However, if you were in Philly, that isn't anything close to what the purist would call a philly cheesesteak!!
eek.gif
Here a grinder is a hoagie that they top with cheese and the baked in the oven to warm. That's closer I think to what that sounds like. Seriously, if you went to Pat's or Geno's in the city and you were looking for that they would probably tell you to get out of line...it's a city thing I think.

I will say that the recipe sounds great and will definitely have to try that, sounds like a good messy sammich!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

i described it as close to a cheesesteak for those having never been to philly & only had the subway version.. blechkkk
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif
. i have had them in philly & went over to camden for sabretts(thats a baaddd story for another time)

round here.......grinders, like at the BEST STATE FAIR IN THE COUNTRY.....the IOWA STATE FAIR........grinders are made of ground beef........go figure

MMmmmmmm minute steak & cheese whiz!!!!! Oh I'm sorry should I've said "wit whiz" & don't forget the fried onions and about a quart of grease to go with it. And Ya'll are right, it's a Philly thing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky