Some Sandwiches!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Last week I did a Mississippi style chicken sandwich for a neighborhood Halloween party. Everyone really enjoyed the warm and hearty sandwich. So this week I had to clear out some meats from my freezer and i wanted to try another go at a different sandwich than the standard pulled pork, which is still delicious! So yesterday I knocked out a couple pork butts, Saturday mornings are busy for us so I started early with the Traeger then moved to the BelFab, El Jeffe, to finish. Nothing too dramatic, but I went with an Apple Brussel sprouts slaw to top the pulled pork with Muenster cheese on a Ciabatta roll. Delicious combination.

Now the pics. First, last weeks Mississippi style chicken. I included some onion, garlic and beer in the braise. Smoked the chicken, mix of breasts and boneless thighs, until IT of 140ish and then dropped in the braise. Frigg’n amazing.
ED148F63-7BDB-4596-8EAA-DC16F7D269C9.jpeg

6B398613-FD62-400E-A1B5-2228576E5615.jpeg

03942434-814B-4A0E-98D0-B513329908DE.jpeg
715BD953-3F61-4165-A10C-0BF1050B3EC7.jpeg

Now, This weeks butts, used up a bunch of different rubs I had to use up. Cabinet and freezer clean out.
BC2F4067-E197-445A-90E9-CD132C838AC3.jpeg

Onto the Traeger in the morning while we ran the kids to all their sports stuff.
66B329D5-E5B1-4C44-8D86-BBD0AA642310.jpeg

Then, when we returned, BelFab gets fired up and onto the stick burner.
824E1DE0-B4DD-4872-8F34-34D3870FEAB4.jpeg
C259F2D2-1A20-4799-897B-B5046E3A7B5A.jpeg

After a while, they’re looking nice.
2F12859A-02FE-4503-9A89-E0470527E30F.jpeg

But didn’t probe tender until after midnight. I pulled them off and kept them whole then later today warmed oven to 200, poured in finishing sauce and some saved juices until they were ready to pull.
8A2F9413-240F-47A9-AB93-C830DC725709.jpeg

While that was happening, I made the apple sprout slaw,
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil ( I infused with rosemary)
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, shaved
  • 2 granny smith apples, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 cup red cabbage, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons Mascarpone
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
Directions:
Slice up the sprouts. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, then add the shaved sprouts to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes, just until cooked through slightly.

Transfer the brussels sprouts to a bowl, add in the sliced apples, and chopped cabbage. I added some honey and broiled my apples too.

Whisk together the Mascarpone, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup. Season with salt and pepper, and when ready to serve - toss the dressing into the bowl with the brussels sprouts. Stir it up good!
B4119057-4B27-454A-AAAF-FB96FE0C0C50.jpeg

622C6FFD-C305-4136-955C-5298993652D4.jpeg
42E6E96A-601D-4C47-8BBF-0304F37020D4.jpeg

96AD1B80-2232-43C3-8BDC-6A225EAA5A2D.jpeg

Then it’s time to build the sandwhich. I used Muenster cheese and toasted on a buttered ciabatta until melted. Then put on the meat followed by the apple sprout slaw. Really came out tasty. We all liked the new flavors and textures on top of the traditional pork. Slight bitterness and earthy flavors balanced well with the sweetness of apples and brown sugar based rub, and rich umami of the meat. I had planned on putting some Peperoncino or jalapeño I’m the mix, but forgot and I’m kicking myself. Oh well… tomorrow!
17D600C5-6B69-46F4-973F-3E9884FC977D.jpeg

9AC0F9DE-ACAF-4A57-8D68-1DDE03996AB8.jpeg

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
All looks fantastic! That slaw is the star of the show I bet! Very unique and I am sure the perfect compliment to the rich fatty pork.

Reactions: bauchjw
All looks fantastic! That slaw is the star of the show I bet! Very unique and I am sure the perfect compliment to the rich fatty pork.
Thank you Jeff! The slaw was a surprise home run with the pork. More heat would’ve elevated it a bit more. My wife had some in a bowl without the meat after her meal. I appreciate your time!
Looks delicious! Some good eating there!
Thank you! Very satisfying and fun to try some different flavors together!

Those are some good looking sammies Jed. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris

Man Jed, that looks superb!! The combination of ingredients and seasonings just screams I WANT SOME!! Very well done my friend.

Robert

Love a good sandwich , and you nailed both of those . Man that chicken looks killer ! What a great idea . Fantastic .

Bookmarked and saved Jed !
The whole meal looks fantastic and always looking for a new chicken recipe for the Mrs !

Keith

Truly some really fine work there Jed, I'd stand in line for that sanny, and the slaw looks to be spot on! RAY
Thank you RAY! You’re welcome anytime! Slaw was a good new flavor and texture. Doesn’t keep well overnight though🤣 needs to be fresh!
Those are some good looking sammies Jed. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris! They’ve been tasty!
Wow Jed! Looks delicious! And I agree with Jeff. That slaw is a showstopper! I must try that.
Highly recommended for a new flavor! I appreciate it Steve!
Jed nice looking breast and butt sandwiches,
beats the crap out of my peanut butter and jam sandwich for my lunch today.

David
🤣Thank you David! Wish I could share!
Man Jed, that looks superb!! The combination of ingredients and seasonings just screams I WANT SOME!! Very well done my friend.

Robert
Thank you Robert! I appreciate it!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Love a good sandwich , and you nailed both of those . Man that chicken looks killer ! What a great idea . Fantastic .
Thank you Sir! I appreciate it!
It doesn’t get any better than that Jed.
That chicken looks absolutely fantastic!
One more for the list!
Al
Thank you Al! I appreciate it. The bread definitely matters. Very tasty stuff!
Damn both of those sandwiches look amazing! How do you normally shave Brussel sprouts? Cant say I have ever tried that.
🤣I tried with a Mach 3 to avoid a rash, but settled with the Mandoline🤣
Bookmarked and saved Jed !
The whole meal looks fantastic and always looking for a new chicken recipe for the Mrs !

Keith
Thank you Kieth! If you’d like the full chicken recipe let me know!
Oh man Jed that looks great, I love a good sandwich
Thank you Cliff! I appreciate your time!
Looks like a couple of great cooks! I'd take one of each please sir!
Jim
Thank you Jim!

Some great looking sandwiches Jed, both of them look fantastic! I’m really digging the sound of that slaw! Very nicely done

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky