Smoked/Grill Mexican Road Side Chicken Q-View

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by bratrules, Oct 7, 2010.

1. bratrules

bratrules Smoking Fanatic

I love slow grill/smoked chicken and the reason i call it roadside chicken it because it always sold along road side stands in Mexico and its sold really cheap. But its the best!!!Now i marinade the chicken in fresh lime juice, orange juice, 3 cloves of pressed garlic, fresh chili powder, onion powered, and salt and pepper to taste. The chicken marinaded for about 4 hours but you can leave it over night and it will taste even better!! here are a few pics!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bratrules

I smoked/grilled the chicken on a off set char-grill smoker/grill i have. The thing is falling apart on me but it still severs its propose!! Well i banked all the coals to one side and add some hickory chunks. And i let smoke for about 2 hours at 350 or so. After that i moved the chicken directly over the coals to get some of that great chard flavor. Oh and i also grill some chili's along side to make some green salsa.

3. coffee_junkie

coffee_junkie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG]OH YEAH!!!!! That is what I am talking about. I love grilled/smoked chicken. Would you care to share your salsa recipe with us?

4. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Nice job on that yard bird, the el polo type is my favorite with the citrus. [​IMG]  What did you do with the neck and gizzards?

5. bratrules

Well them neck and gizzards were a great snack!!!! As for the salsa it goes like this. I chard some Serrano chili's as you can see from the pics and i just threw those in to the blender with about 5 cloves of garlic and blend it till smooth after that i add some tomatillo about 1 1/2 cup boil them first then just blended them with the chili's and that's about it easy!!! oh don't forget to add salt to taste. oh and the salsa is going to come out kind thick so thin it out with some water. 

6. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That is some awesome looking yard bird!! Definately puttin this on my to-do list! [​IMG]

7. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

With all due respect... Pollo Loco ain't got nothing on you. It's all good my friend.

8. smoke_chef

smoke_chef Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Great looking bird...

Also, I have had the salsa you describe. However, they added a quarter cup clear tequila, a tbs white sugar, and a tbs cpb. It's awesome! 

9. bratrules

pollo loco is alright but there no smoke flavor in those birds!!!!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  10. deannc

deannc Master of the Pit

Some tasty looking bird!  Thanks for the Qview!

11. bratrules

Also i got give a shout out to my wife cause she made the guacamole and it came out really damn good. well also cause it had some of my smoked chili's in it lol

12. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Dude where are you in So CA - we need to  chat

13. bratrules

Scarbelly am in South Gate C.A. its about 15min from downtown L.A.

14. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I will PM you - lets get together

15. thebarbequeen

thebarbequeen Smoking Fanatic

that is one of the best looking chickens I've ever seen!  great pix, too. way prettier than pollo loco! Thanks for the salsa tips, too. Yum!

16. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    looks good!

17. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You beat me to it again!!!!

I was gonna say, "OKay, I'm not accusing anyone, but what the hell happened to the gizzard & heart !?!?"

Beautiful chicken Brat!

Bear

18. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

Thats looks great and the salsa and Guac is my favorite mmm

19. coacher72

coacher72 Smoking Fanatic

Great bird. I too appreciate the salsa recipe. Were the peppers and onions left on for the entire time the bird was left on?

20. jbg4208

jbg4208 StickBurners

Nice bird!!!  [​IMG] <

one of these for sure.