• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked/Grill Mexican Road Side Chicken Q-View

bratrules

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 7, 2010
I love slow grill/smoked chicken and the reason i call it roadside chicken it because it always sold along road side stands in Mexico and its sold really cheap. But its the best!!!Now i marinade the chicken in fresh lime juice, orange juice, 3 cloves of pressed garlic, fresh chili powder, onion powered, and salt and pepper to taste. The chicken marinaded for about 4 hours but you can leave it over night and it will taste even better!! here are a few pics!!

bratrules

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 7, 2010
I smoked/grilled the chicken on a off set char-grill smoker/grill i have. The thing is falling apart on me but it still severs its propose!! Well i banked all the coals to one side and add some hickory chunks. And i let smoke for about 2 hours at 350 or so. After that i moved the chicken directly over the coals to get some of that great chard flavor. Oh and i also grill some chili's along side to make some green salsa.

coffee_junkie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 17, 2009
OH YEAH!!!!! That is what I am talking about. I love grilled/smoked chicken. Would you care to share your salsa recipe with us?

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
Nice job on that yard bird, the el polo type is my favorite with the citrus.
 What did you do with the neck and gizzards?

bratrules

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 7, 2010
Well them neck and gizzards were a great snack!!!! As for the salsa it goes like this. I chard some Serrano chili's as you can see from the pics and i just threw those in to the blender with about 5 cloves of garlic and blend it till smooth after that i add some tomatillo about 1 1/2 cup boil them first then just blended them with the chili's and that's about it easy!!! oh don't forget to add salt to taste. oh and the salsa is going to come out kind thick so thin it out with some water. 

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
That is some awesome looking yard bird!! Definately puttin this on my to-do list!

richoso1

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 21, 2007
With all due respect... Pollo Loco ain't got nothing on you. It's all good my friend.

smoke_chef

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 22, 2008
Great looking bird...

Also, I have had the salsa you describe. However, they added a quarter cup clear tequila, a tbs white sugar, and a tbs cpb. It's awesome! 

bratrules

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 7, 2010
pollo loco is alright but there no smoke flavor in those birds!!!!

Last edited:

bratrules

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 7, 2010
Also i got give a shout out to my wife cause she made the guacamole and it came out really damn good. well also cause it had some of my smoked chili's in it lol

thebarbequeen

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 22, 2010
that is one of the best looking chickens I've ever seen!  great pix, too. way prettier than pollo loco! Thanks for the salsa tips, too. Yum!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Nice job on that yard bird, the el polo type is my favorite with the citrus.
 What did you do with the neck and gizzards?

You beat me to it again!!!!

I was gonna say, "OKay, I'm not accusing anyone, but what the hell happened to the gizzard & heart !?!?"

Beautiful chicken Brat!

Bear

coacher72

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 16, 2010
Great bird. I too appreciate the salsa recipe. Were the peppers and onions left on for the entire time the bird was left on?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.