Nando's Peri Peri Chicken Opened Down the Road!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
If you've ever been overseas to London or big cities in Australia (or other places) you might have eaten at a Nando's.
It's Portuguese style Peri Peri chicken and other dishes (which seems to have African roots if I undrestand it properly).

In short it's a grilled chicken with Peri Peri sauce which is like a lemon juice based buffalo style sauce used liberally and also used like a BBQ sauce is used. Also known to be quite spicy since they use an African Birdseye pepper.

I fell in love with this stuff while overseas and I'm so glad to see a location opened up down the road from me. They have been slowly opening locations in the US for a good while now and sometimes you can find small bottles of the Nando's sauce in the stores though it should really be in much larger bottles to be applied properly vs little "hot sauce" bottles.

They give a LOT of food. A real amount of chicken and sides are large and everything is high quality!
Here are the pics of half chicken HOT, with a side of roasted brussels sprouts and roasted cauliflower with pepitas!
J6bwH42.png

dBTBcJO.png

OcySAs1.png

TwxugGM.png

If you've ever been to one then you know why I'm posting about it. Enjoy! :D

Nandos is a go to place when I visit London for "fast" food. I like the sauce and have a few bottles of it stashed away. Better than any of the chicken fast food spots in US.

Looked at their menu....Love the description of the extra hot sauce! And the menu looks darn good.

Jim

Nandos is a go to place when I visit London for "fast" food. I like the sauce and have a few bottles of it stashed away. Better than any of the chicken fast food spots in US.
Yeah it's good stuff and the quality is definitely above fast food for sure even though they feel a little fast food'ish over sease!
This felt much more like a sit down restaurant run a slight bit fast food'ish. Maybe like an old school Jason's deli before they fell off.

Looked at their menu....Love the description of the extra hot sauce! And the menu looks darn good.

Jim
Oh yeah it's good to go!
I prefer the flavor of the "Hot" level sauce but also enjoy the "Extra Hot". I think what I'll do is have the chicken grilled with "Extra Hot" to really get that going and then splash the "Hot" at the table.

Also the sauces mixed with Ketchup is out of this world good and amazing for fries and even the chicken!

Reactions: JLeonard
I may be hitting the Amazon and ordering the sauce.....Found a copy cat chicken burger recipe online that sounds pretty darn good.

Jim

Ok that cinches it for me....Hitting the Amazon for the sauces!

Jim
I wanted a good baseline. I got the variety pack. Plan to try and sorta copy, but was not outrageously expensive. I liked the hot the best but all were good. To the right is a whole bird parted, dry rubbed with Nando's rub, sauced with Nando's garlic sauce. Doubt that's exactly how they run them but were very tasty.

20230529_182426_resized.jpg

• Love
YOU SUCK!!! Never ate there but have bought the rubs and sauces on Amazon and they are FANTASTIC.
Hahaha I am a lucky son of a gun! :D
Yeah the stuff is good and it's like a whole other category of sauce to be wonderfully introduced to :D

Ok that cinches it for me....Hitting the Amazon for the sauces!

Jim
Nice, glad I can enable you hahaha :D
I wanted a good baseline. I got the variety pack. Plan to try and sorta copy, but was not outrageously expensive. I liked the hot the best but all were good. To the right is a whole bird parted, dry rubbed with Nando's rub, sauced with Nando's garlic sauce. Doubt that's exactly how they run them but were very tasty.

View attachment 687567
Yep that looks like some good Peri Peri chicken!

I did a bit of work to make a copy and ran into lots of horrible recipes online so please piggy back off my work to save yourself some grief lol. I got pretty close and here is my recipe, also know I pressure canned it to so it was good to go for that. Could be thickened up a little with a thickener but the flavor is there. I did notice that over time the lemon sweetness became more pronounced but it was still a great peri peri sauce that is in the ballpark of Nando's:

Dang
I thought with the number of Brits that invade central Florida to visit the mouse house someone would have opened a Nando's. No such luck. If I was younger it would be a great entrepreneur venture.
I love Peri-peri dishes

Dang
I thought with the number of Brits that invade central Florida to visit the mouse house someone would have opened a Nando's. No such luck. If I was younger it would be a great entrepreneur venture.
I love Peri-peri dishes
Yeah would be cool to franchise one (so I think) lol

Well, I got to digging through my spice cabinet and ran across some peri peri seasoning. It was a small sampler package I had gotten somewhere. Thawed some chicken breasts and let it marinade with the seasoning on it. Grilled it this afternoon. I will be ordering more. Good stuff.

Jim

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky