Smoked chucky: from smoker to fridge?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

husker3in4

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Smoked my first chucky last weekend with the help of TallBM. It turned out nicely and was good the day I smoked it, but REALLY good a couple of days later. So I want to smoke another one this weekend but not eat it until monday. What is the best way to do this? Let it rest in cooler like usual for 2 hours and then on counter uncovered until its cool enough to refrigerate? or straight from smoker to fridge?

Personally, I would skip the cooler. Just let it rest, wrapped and cool enough you are comfortable putting in the refrigerator.

Reactions: SonnyE
I don't put anything in the fridge hot, so my thoughts would be to let it cool (probably to room temperature).
Then refrigerate.

Finish it however you want, sliced, pulled, faux burnt ends and the pop it into the fridge once it's cooled down. Don't put warm meat into the fridge. It will only make the fridge work harder.

Chris

What I do is let it rest for a couple of hours, then pull it, foil it up really tight to retain moisture and let it cool off on the counter until it’s cool enough to hold comfortably bare handed. Then I put it in the fridge. If you wait to pull or slice, you will regret it.

I smoked a chucky last weekend using Mr. Bear's method. I let it rest for 40 minutes, pulled it, let it cool to room temperature then vacuum sealed it and tossed into the freezer for a couple of future meals....ok, one future meal after I did the quality control!

Only a 40 min rest? Seems a little short, or does chuck roast need less time than a brisket?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky