Italian Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
First, sorry forgot to take any picts until we were cleaning up after dinner, so there is only one pict at the end.

Kinda cool here this weekend, so wife and decided to make our version of italian beef, which was inspired by one ofnour fave pizza places in CT which was a shredded beef sammy vs sliced.

Seasoned a 3.5 lb chucky with salt, pepper, dried oregano and dried basil. Then chunked up cpl onions and threw it all in the crock pot about 930 this morn.

Ran some errands this morn and early afternoon, by the time we got home, I could start to shred the beef but not completely, needed a little longer.

About 415 threw in 1/2 a jar of pepperoncinis with a little bit of juice and stirred the meat around, now starting to get all shreddy.

Served it over some tater tots and some melted prolone. That was some good grub.

20231015_183148.jpg

First, sorry forgot to take any picts until we were cleaning up after dinner, so there is only one pict at the end.

Kinda cool here this weekend, so wife and decided to make our version of italian beef, which was inspired by one ofnour fave pizza places in CT which was a shredded beef sammy vs sliced.

Seasoned a 3.5 lb chucky with salt, pepper, dried oregano and dried basil. Then chunked up cpl onions and threw it all in the crock pot about 930 this morn.

Ran some errands this morn and early afternoon, by the time we got home, I could start to shred the beef but not completely, needed a little longer.

About 415 threw in 1/2 a jar of pepperoncinis with a little bit of juice and stirred the meat around, now starting to get all shreddy.

Served it over some tater tots and some melted prolone. That was some good grub.

View attachment 678589
Italian beef is awesome. Righteous work brother!

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
Oh hell yeah!
Pass me a Sammie on some super crusty Italian bread.
I do this with left over roast the next day. Slap some provolone cheese on there and run it under the broiler a minute or so to get that cheese all melty. Athough the tater tots Kevin mentioned might be a way to go also!!

Jim

I do this with left over roast the next day. Slap some provolone cheese on there and run it under the broiler a minute or so to get that cheese all melty. Athough the tater tots Kevin mentioned might be a way to go also!!

Jim
The tots were something a lil different. We usually do sammys w some roasted taters.

This may make a really good tater tot casserole, itl beef in the bottom, layer of provolone (smoked please) and layer of tots on top.

Reactions: JLeonard
I lived in the North Burbs of chicago most of my life, worked downtown for about 15yrs after I got out of school. Italian Beef is without question one of my favorite sammies, with cheese and hot peppers, dipped. When we moved to AL about 5yrs ago my wife had to learn how to make it, we based our method on the recipe at AmazingRibs and altered it to our specs (BTW - that is a great place to start if you like good Chicago style beefs). Wife has never had a beef at a restaurant (she's from peoria), only her own. We even went as far as getting a new slicer just to have beefs here in AL. Now we have to figure out where we can source proper bread from, that's the biggest challenge down here. we make garden fresh giardiniera with serranos to bring some heat and when I travel back to IL for work I trek into WI and source good provolone cheese from an italian grocery right across the border, usually in 5lb logs and slice it ourselves.

long story short - that shredded beef looks amazing, it just clashes with everything I've ever known about italian beef :P gonna have to try it that way for giggles!!

I lived in the North Burbs of chicago most of my life, worked downtown for about 15yrs after I got out of school. Italian Beef is without question one of my favorite sammies, with cheese and hot peppers, dipped. When we moved to AL about 5yrs ago my wife had to learn how to make it, we based our method on the recipe at AmazingRibs and altered it to our specs (BTW - that is a great place to start if you like good Chicago style beefs). Wife has never had a beef at a restaurant (she's from peoria), only her own. We even went as far as getting a new slicer just to have beefs here in AL. Now we have to figure out where we can source proper bread from, that's the biggest challenge down here. we make garden fresh giardiniera with serranos to bring some heat and when I travel back to IL for work I trek into WI and source good provolone cheese from an italian grocery right across the border, usually in 5lb logs and slice it ourselves.

long story short - that shredded beef looks amazing, it just clashes with everything I've ever known about italian beef :P gonna have to try it that way for giggles!!
I know traditionally its not shredded beef but that is the way the restaurant served it, CT has a huge Italian population and this place rivaled some of the places in New Haven

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky