Slamming Shots on a Saturday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Very cool John, always nice to have the kids involved! My kiddos love to help prep and smoke too! Nothing like fam time around the smoker!

No Problem There, John:
"As you sow, so shall you reap".

Bear
Thanks John,
that is what we hope for.
Very cool John, always nice to have the kids involved! My kiddos love to help prep and smoke too! Nothing like fam time around the smoker!
Thank you Justin,
my younger son is going on 14 and still seems to wanna do whatever I'm doing.
I'll take that as long as I can get it.
My baby girl just turned 11and doesn't have any interest much at all in cooking, but she'll sure eat it.

Those look awesome!! Man I have to do those and wings for a Football Sunday away game sometime.

Does the bacon every get crispy? I did some pork shots last weekend at about 250 and I let them smoke an hour and a half, but the bacon didn't ever crisp up. I was thinking thinner bacon might have helped, but now I'm wondering if a higher temp would have been better?

Does the bacon every get crispy? I did some pork shots last weekend at about 250 and I let them smoke an hour and a half, but the bacon didn't ever crisp up. I was thinking thinner bacon might have helped, but now I'm wondering if a higher temp would have been better?
Bacon and poultry skin, two things that you will never get truly crispy crunchy in the smoker alone.
You can get them well rendered and fully acceptable to eat, you can even get the poultry skin with an nice pop as you bite into it.
But crunch? No sir, not unless you finish on the grill or under the broiler. You can also partially pre -cook your bacon to yield fully cooked in less time.
This is recommended for items that have a very short/fast cooking time.
Perfect example, the bacon wrapped quail that I cooked the week before last.

Bacon and poultry skin, yes, turn up the heat.
Minimum 275° and as high as 400°.
And for poultry skin you want the skin dry as possible.

In most uses thin-cut bacon is going to give you a better end result in less time.
But you'll be a frustrated chef if using thin cut bacon with pork shots, as your shot glass will keep collapsing during the prep process.

I don't think I'd want the Thick Bacon around a Pork Shot to be Crisp.
That would be like wrapping it in Hard Jerky.

Just my 2 Piasters,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky