Sirloin tip roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shorty

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Johnstown Pa
So I did a sirloin tip roast tonight on my Traeger the taste was delicious but it was tough... I smoked it on 225 for 90minutes until the temp was 134* the turn the grill to high and reverse seared it for 5 minutes on each side let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing! It looked and tasted amazing but was tough!!! Any idea what could have happened or what I did wrong?

Nature of the Beast. Sirloin Tip is a tough cut. Options are to Sous Vide it tender for 20 hours or so at 130° or choose another cut. Top Sirloin/Top Butt is a better choice. Guys seem to like the Tri-Tip from the Bottom Sirloin...JJ

Not sure where you bought your Tri Tip at? But I have had good luck up here getting them at Fred Meyer. They seem to come up for sale quite often too. Tried a couple at WinCo and they just didn't seem to be as tender.

So I'd try to pick up my next tri tip from a different store and give it another try.

I also like to put my tri tip in an aluminum foil pan after about an hour. Keeps the tri tip in its own juices. Plus that juice in the pan is good for dipping your Tri Tip in when eating it.

I like to smoke a sirloin tip roast to about 128 degrees then after it cools get the slicer out and slice it as thin as I can it makes for some good sandwiches. That said I haven't found any other good uses for it as you said good flavor but tough

Reactions: SlickRockStones
Yea I think sirloin tip is going to be more tender if you cook it to higher temps. To me it's basically roast beef so you need to slice it thin. I bet if you smoked it to rare and then threw it in a crock pot, it would come out delish for sammys but otherwise, I would probably take it to 190+ IT and see how it turns out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky