• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
This is why I never care if the McRib stays or leaves.
The real trick is making sure your ribs are taken high enough to get a clean rib pull, which is always higher than I schmoke them to just eat at the table.
Also, I'm usually a dry ribs guy, but for these I sauce after the wrap to get a good muddy rib which makes for a more juicy sammich.

Start with a toasted hoagie bun (I toast mine with honey butter)
Screenshot_20210410-073528.png

Add a little mustard (I use spicy mustard)
Screenshot_20210410-073624.png

Throw on your ribs (bone in)
Screenshot_20210410-073642.png

Add another squirt of BBQ sauce
Screenshot_20210410-073701_2.png

Add some pickles (these are jalapeno brined pickles for another layer of kick)
Screenshot_20210410-073748.png
(sometimes I add onions, but I left it out for these ones)

Add your top bun and pull your bones
Screenshot_20210410-073809.png

Boom.
PXL_20210409_201905674.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

This really is a super simple sammich, but sometimes that's all you need. Everyone always loves them (and I think people love pulling the bones out themselves).

I have a video of me making these on instagram @PitmasterSchmokey if you want to see it in action.

Mighty fine looking sammich! Never had a McRib but would love to try this. I agree that I would get satisfaction from pulling the bones out too.

Reactions: JBinGB
The McRib is for 3rd place finishers who like participation trophies. This is a real sammie right here. Nice job preacher!

Been awhile since we have seen you around! Glad to see you posting again.

Reactions: Preacher Man
Wow that looks fantastic!
What did you use for the wrap.
Never saw a purple wrap before.
I would definitely do this for sure!
Al

Looks great Preacher Man Preacher Man ! I have to admit, I like McRibs since they came out in the 70's, lol. I have tried a few recipes to make these, but never comes out good. How high temp did you cook the Ribs for the bones to come out so easy? This looks to be easy enough for me. Thanks for sharing.

Nice Preacher!! I'm smoking a rack of ribs today. I think my dinner ideas just took a detour!!

Last edited:
This is why I never care if the McRib stays or leaves.
The real trick is making sure your ribs are taken high enough to get a clean rib pull, which is always higher than I schmoke them to just eat at the table.
Also, I'm usually a dry ribs guy, but for these I sauce after the wrap to get a good muddy rib which makes for a more juicy sammich.

Start with a toasted hoagie bun (I toast mine with honey butter)
View attachment 492023

Add a little mustard (I use spicy mustard)
View attachment 492024

Throw on your ribs (bone in)
View attachment 492021

Add another squirt of BBQ sauce
View attachment 492019

Add some pickles (these are jalapeno brined pickles for another layer of kick)
View attachment 492022
(sometimes I add onions, but I left it out for these ones)

Add your top bun and pull your bones
View attachment 492020

Boom.
View attachment 492018

This really is a super simple sammich, but sometimes that's all you need. Everyone always loves them (and I think people love pulling the bones out themselves).

I have a video of me making these on instagram @PitmasterSchmokey if you want to see it in action.
Looks delicious; sometimes i'll use a little butt slab or rib tips. i really like making a relish so that i get some pickle and onion in every bite.
kimg0555-jpg.jpg

Wow that looks fantastic!
What did you use for the wrap.
Never saw a purple wrap before.
I would definitely do this for sure!
Al
It's just the way the sunlight is hitting the pink butcher paper through the curtains (which, oddly enough, are green).

Looks great Preacher Man Preacher Man ! I have to admit, I like McRibs since they came out in the 70's, lol. I have tried a few recipes to make these, but never comes out good. How high temp did you cook the Ribs for the bones to come out so easy? This looks to be easy enough for me. Thanks for sharing.
I didn't temp them, I just kept checking by twisting the center rib until it spun freely.

Reactions: MJB05615
Looks great! So, what about the little gristly ends on the ribs, how do you avoid that? I find that not only is there a bone to contend with, that little cartilage-like area would be troublesome to me.

Reactions: Preacher Man
Looks great! So, what about the little gristly ends on the ribs, how do you avoid that? I find that not only is there a bone to contend with, that little cartilage-like area would be troublesome to me.
Good question. I trimmed these like a St. Louis style rack of ribs rather than a full slab of spareribs. This removes that cartilage area.

Here's a video in case anyone is wondering how to do that:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky