Sausage Weekend Ahead: Suggestions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

couger78

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Northern California
So I've ordered an electric smoker and will probably not get it in until early next week.

At home, the troops have been lobbying at home for MORE sausages! In response to this request, I picked up 15lbs of pork & about 10lbs of chuck. Also just received a new shipment of pork & sheep casings.

I've done the italians (big hit!), bockwurst (an even BIGGER hit), sage breakfast sausage (bulk) and some tasty garlic sausages over the past few weeks.

Since I will not be smoking this next batch, I'm looking for some veteran opinions on which variety of fresh sausage to tackle next.

I'm considering brats, chorizo (bulk or stuffed), but the Polish contingent in the house is vocal in their demands for kielbasa—albeit not smoked.

Suggestions?

f7b1d5c1_trio_fresh.jpg

If they want kielbasa, then that's what they should have. However, without curing & smoking it I don't think it would taste the same as what they're used to.

Hmmmm

25+ pounds (+ is after mixing and it expands some)

5 lb fresh brats

5 lb choriz

5 lb basa

10 lb smoked basa

WOOO HOOO

Cougar, the best advice I can give, and I do believe I will get flack over this, is to to all three, and then kindly ship samples to me for my UNBIASED opinion of your endeavors.  I will in turn, post my results here for all to see, read and comment on.  Just PM me for the details.. hehehehe
icon_redface.gif

5 lb fresh brats

5 lb choriz

5 lb basa

10 lb smoked basa

WOOO HOOO
I like the way you think! 
biggrin.gif

I'm a bit leery of doing the 'fresh' kielbasa, as Smokin' Al alluded to, the 'expectation' of what kielbasa should be is based upon the smoked variety. While 'fresh' kielbasa might be dern tasty, it may resemble a garlicky 'brat' more than the aniticipated 'basa profile.

I also got a request for a 'Jimmy Dean-style' breakfast links. I have some 19mm brown collagen that might work. Or maybe I should just use the sheep casings & save the collagen for some smoked sticks at a later date.

the plot thickens......

Kevin

Last edited:
Slight change of plans...

For one, I've 25lbs of pork butt in the fridge now (no beef). It seems the majority in the house want smoked kielbasa (!)—rather than fresh— just like my wife's polish grandmother used to make ("polska  wędzona kiełbasa"). Since my new 40" MES doesnt arrive until next week, I'm going to attempt a controlled sausage-smoke in my trusty Weber smoky mountain. A bit more of a challenge as the WSM tends to run hot (200°+), so I'll have to give it my full attention for a 90-120 minute smoke @ 150-170°

Hopefully the results will do justice & resemble something from "Babcia Stella's" kitchen.

Should be a fun experience. Photos of the whole ordeal to come in a new thread....
biggrin.gif

8fa__Weber_Smokey_Mountain__150865147_1d9c901f7b_m.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to this, I have been wanting to smoke some sausage in my WSM, but I think I'll have to wait until winter. It's so hot down here that the WSM heats up just from the sun.

Looking forward to this, I have been wanting to smoke some sausage in my WSM, but I think I'll have to wait until winter. It's so hot down here that the WSM heats up just from the sun.
forecast is calling for a mild 60° weekend here in the Bay area so that's promising. I've the WSM tucked in the shade of a large orange tree so sun is indirect.

I'll take plenty of pics documenting my struggles...err.....successes
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky