First try at making Venison Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WI Smoker77

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 18, 2021
Posting my first try at making Venison summer sausage, ( any smoked sausage for that matter), made last Thursday.
First a pic of my equipment set up.
IMG_20210708_072209755.jpg
Found a good deal on some pork butts last week, from a friend who is laid up and wanted them to go to use. $1.00/lb so picked up 4 butts.
IMG_20210708_072818973.jpg
Trimmed them out and ground up the trim and the venison. A double grind. 1/2" plate and then a 1/8" plate.
IMG_20210708_081624497.jpg
Ready to add the seasonings. Used the Venison Summer sausage recipe from Rytek Kutas book , and added a slight bit more garlic and some mustard seed for flavor that my family enjoys.
IMG_20210708_084752324.jpg
After the mixing with seasonings I added some ECA and mixed for another minute. Then stuffed the presoaked casings. I made a total of 10lbs of sausage. 50/50 mix venison/pork.
As you can see did not do well on making 10 sticks of 1 lb each, lol. Oh well, better next time I hope.
IMG_20210708_092552149_HDR.jpg
Out to my homemade smoker it went. Followed Rytek's instructions, somewhat, and used some info gathered here. I prefer a firm sausage, so let it dry for 2 hours at 120 degrees, then added smoke and increased temps approx. 10 degrees every 60-90 minutes. Finally left it at 165 degrees until the internal temps hit 145 degrees and into an ice water bath until cooled down to what I felt was around 100 degrees. Hung to bloom for two hours.
IMG_20210708_205038134.jpg

While smoking I finished trimming up the pork butts for use this week in some fresh venison/pork sausages. Thinking brats, polish, Italian and some Andouille.
IMG_20210708_142951931.jpg
Finally a 'money shot' pic of the sausage. Texture was firm, but not hard. Not a lot of fat particles seen , but the flavor was good. I think I will increase the garlic and mustard and black pepper a little more, next time. Casings come off nicely.
The outside 'skin' of the sausage is not tough, but maybe a little firmer than I like, but still good. Thinking maybe I didn't increase temps fast enough, causing longer hours in smoker for the firmer outside?? Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks for reading.
IMG_20210708_223933885.jpg

Looks great to me!

I'm not a sausage maker yet so I don't have the answers to your questions.

Meat IT of 145 just before the ice? It should have been taken to 152-155.
Cut shot looks right for venison.

Your starting time and temp should have been 130* for 1.5 hours then do the bump in temps. You could have taken the smoker temp to 170.

Anyways

Your SS and if its good for you then its good........Thats all that matters.

Meat IT of 145 just before the ice? It should have been taken to 152-155.
Cut shot looks right for venison.

Your starting time and temp should have been 130* for 1.5 hours then do the bump in temps. You could have taken the smoker temp to 170.

Anyways

Your SS and if its good for you then its good........Thats all that matters.
Thanks for the answer/help. I have always thought 152 or slightly above for IT also, but in Rytek's book in several of his recipes, he notes taking the IT to 145 and then ice water bath. Was thinking he wanted to avoid overcooking it for some reason. I will start the next batch at 130 degrees as suggested. Thanks for your help!

Welcome

IMHO
Ryteks book is full of holes and gaps in recipes. Rytek passed in 1998. Dont know if his newer editions has new person doing the recipes.

Suggestion for you.
Google Len Poli for his sausage site. Very good detailed recipes and user friendly.

Thanks for the answer/help. I have always thought 152 or slightly above for IT also, but in Rytek's book in several of his recipes, he notes taking the IT to 145 and then ice water bath. Was thinking he wanted to avoid overcooking it for some reason. I will start the next batch at 130 degrees as suggested. Thanks for your help!
What edition of rytek book do you have? In his earlier books he had a lower finish temp I believe. I rarely trim my pork butts for sausage, but if you like the taste and texture send it make sure you keep your notes

Reactions: WI Smoker77
Welcome

IMHO
Ryteks book is full of holes and gaps in recipes.

Suggestion for you.
Google Len Poli for his sausage site. Very good detailed recipes and user friendly.
Thanks again for this info. I will Google it and bookmark it for further reference. I used Rytek's book suggestion because I have it and use it for recipes for fresh sausage. I have no problem whatsoever using other sources, esp. if more complete and better info. Thanks again.

What edition of rytek book do you have? In his earlier books he had a lower finish temp I believe. I rarely trim my pork butts for sausage, but if you like the taste and texture send it make sure you keep your notes
I have an early version I'm thinking. I have had it for many years. Guessing 15 to 20 years. Maybe his recipes are outdated in my version.
Do you not use pork butts for your sausage or just not trim them and use the whole , minus the bone? just wondering.

I have an early version I'm thinking. I have had it for many years. Guessing 15 to 20 years. Maybe his recipes are outdated in my version.
Do you not use pork butts for your sausage or just not trim them and use the whole , minus the bone? just wondering.
IMO rytek was the Bible before the internet, and is still very valuable,and informative. In this era it was all hit or miss or if you were lucky maybe someone would share some info with you. However coming from the German, polis. Czech community some people would rather go to the grave with their recipe than to let anyone have their or family recipe. I use pork butts almost exclusive for summer sausage and brats breakfast sausage etc. I just rarely trim much if at all.

The cut shot looks about just right. Thanks for sharing the recipe source...still looking for my "want to do it again and again" sausage recipe.
I agree, I am looking for recipes that you 'get down pat' for your own/ families like, so that can be reproduced again and again. Thanks.

IMO rytek was the Bible before the internet, and is still very valuable,and informative. In this era it was all hit or miss or if you were lucky maybe someone would share some info with you. However coming from the German, polis. Czech community some people would rather go to the grave with their recipe than to let anyone have their or family recipe. I use pork butts almost exclusive for summer sausage and brats breakfast sausage etc. I just rarely trim much if at all.
That is why I purchased his book years ago, word of mouth about his recipes and a 'all in one' source for various types of sausages. I REALLY like this website, so many people with great suggestions, willing to share info and recipes.
I just trim the butts to get the glands/ sinew and unwanted stuff off, then grind it all up, lol. Thanks.

I have the fourth edition of the Kutas book . The finish temps for smoked sausage is listed as 152 or 155 . It's a good book to have , I just don't use it much any more .
I use Poli's or Marianski sites .
Summer sausage type stuff I use a pre mix . I get much better results doing it that way .
As said your sausage looks right for venison . I started getting to finish temp of 152 with fewer steps to max smoker temp of 165 / 170 . Start at 130 .
Nice work . As said above , if you like it that's what matters , but get that finished internal temp to 152 .

I have the fourth edition of the Kutas book . The finish temps for smoked sausage is listed as 152 or 155 . It's a good book to have , I just don't use it much any more .
I use Poli's or Marianski sites .
Summer sausage type stuff I use a pre mix . I get much better results doing it that way .
As said your sausage looks right for venison . I started getting to finish temp of 152 with fewer steps to max smoker temp of 165 / 170 . Start at 130 .
Nice work . As said above , if you like it that's what matters , but get that finished internal temp to 152 .
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely start at 130 and step it up from there until 152 from now on. And I may start trying a few pre mixes that are out there for a different taste profile. Greatly appreciated!

Do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Stanley Marianski’s book; Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages.
This is likened to a Bible to the home producer. Check out the other books he has as well. All are filled with straight up truth, and lots of recipes.

Do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Stanley Marianski’s book; Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages.
This is likened to a Bible to the home producer. Check out the other books he has as well. All are filled with straight up truth, and lots of recipes.
Thank you for the recommendation. I will check out this reference book also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky