Checking in from Colorado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CADguy

Original poster
Nov 30, 2023
Hey all Papa John here, no not the pizza guy. I've been Papa John long before the pizza chain existed.
Got a smoker last year, been doing bacon mostly, a brisket , a tri tip, pulled pork and smoked chicken (for mama's smoked chicken enchiladas). I've also done some bulk sausage, breakfast and chorizo style and I'm getting into sausage making. I made Chicken Fajita sausages which taste awesome although I did have an issue casing them, well vacuum sealing them once they were cased. Next on the list is a summer sausage.
Somewhere down the line I want to make a snack stick using my jerky marinade. the recipe uses a fair amount of celery salt and I want to know if I need to adjust the amount of cure because of the natural nitrites in the celery powder. I have an inner ear disorder and meats with excessive nitrates/nitrites trigger vertigo attackes so I need to be sparing with cure. The recipe also uses a lot of soy sauce and I expect the mince to be quite wet. I hoped to get some advice on the best way to dry the snack sticks.
regards from Colorado
Papa John (CADguy)

Welcome from Colorado also. Hope you stick around, lots of great folks and solid information on this forum.

Reactions: CADguy
Welcome from pa, not much help with your cure question but I'll bet someone will jump in with an answer , great bunch of people here.

Reactions: CADguy
We are new to this site. Have found great info. We have snack sticks mixed and ready for smoking tomorrow. Need some guidance on temps and cook times. We used casing and they are about 20 inches long

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky