Rotisserie duck and Christmas morning quiche

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Decided to do duck for Christmas Eve dinner this year. First time ever doing a whole duck and not just breasts. It turned out real good. Very flavorful. Heres what I did

Started with a frozen duck I thawed out .
1223191949_HDR.jpg

Did my best to trim it up and truss it. Seasoned with SPOG. Then put on the rotisserie.
1224191343.jpg

Then on to the grill with a pan underneath. At this point I put my AMNPS under the grates with a fruit blend of Apple cherry and maple. It was right at 40° outside so I just let it smoke for about three hr before turning on the heat.
1224191358d.jpg

While that was getting a little smoke bath I cut up some veggies to put in the drip pan. Sweet potatoes,purple potatoes,parsnips,and a red onion
1224191519_HDR.jpg

Then after about 3 hr of cold smoke I turned on the grill . set to about 325. Then placed the veggies underneath the duck.
1224191729_HDR.jpg

After a little while I stirred the veggies to keep them coated in the duck fat. Starting to get some good color
1224191919b.jpg

Getting close. A little while longer
1224192045b.jpg

The duck is done but the veggies are gonna stay on a little bit longer.
1224192151.jpg

Resting before carving
1224192324.jpg

And finally plated with the veggies and some aspearigus.
1224192351~2.jpg

It was really great. Simple seasoning and the duck fat rendered nicely to crisp the skin. The breast was a little more dry than I would have liked but I kinda expected that. The veggies in the duck fat were awesome! This was a great Christmas Eve meal for sure!

The next morning I wanted to do a quiche. It makes for a great brunch after the kids finish up opening all the goodies that Santa brought them. I got this recipe off the johnsonville website. The only changes I made were using tater tots instead of hash browns.

First I pre cooked the brown sugar honey breakfast sausages. And I cooked the tots in the air fryer.

Tots smashed into the bottom of the pie dish
1225190759a.jpg

Then place the sausage around the rim
1225190805.jpg

Add the cheese
1225190806.jpg

Then pour in the egg mixture
1225190807.jpg

Then topped with a few tomato slices
1225190809.jpg

Then placed foil over the sausage so they wouldnt over brown while it baked
1225190811a_HDR.jpg

Baked about 50min and out of the oven. Looks pretty tasty!
1225190905.jpg

My oldest requested buiscuts and gravy so we had that too. Lol. We were stuffed!
1225191117.jpg

Thanks for looking and a big Merry Christmas to everyone!

Festive and tasty looking quiche, and the duck looks great.

point for sure
Chris

Your meal looks great!
Been wanting to do a duck for ages.
I think you may have just pushed me over the edge!
Al

Your meal looks great!
Been wanting to do a duck for ages.
I think you may have just pushed me over the edge!
Al
Thanks Al! We really enjoyed it. Something different for a change!

Looks great! It’s nice to try something different from time to time. Thumbs up for sure.

G
Thanks! I cook so much of the "normal stuff" for ourselves,friends and family its nice to do something different.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky