Grilled Duck Confit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Schwarzwald Metzger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
Full disclosure, I had actually cooked this a while back but never posted due to procrastination and distractions. Now I am posting. Duck is my go-to poultry and should be tried by everyone.

I started off with breaking down two ducks into their respective, delicious parts. And scored the fat on the breasts.

IMG_20221122_190417827.jpg

IMG_20221123_160351076.jpg

IMG_20221123_171619048.jpg

I threw the bones onto the smoker in order to later create a duck bone stock - reduced to two cups of delicious duck juice.

IMG_20221123_192857659.jpg

I cured the duck thighs in a salt/sugar solution for a few hours, then seasoned with pepper, garlic and fennel seeds and placed in sous vide bags with extra fat to simulate Confit..... I set sous vide to 158 and gave them a warm bath overnight.

As for the duck breasts, I hit them with SPG and fennel and let them them sit overnight in the refer.

The next day I removed the thighs from the sous vide bags and breasts from the refer and grilled both on my Weber kettle... Sorry no pics.

I added fresh squeezed orange juice, cinnamon and balsamic vinegar to the reduced duck stock and further reduced to 1(ish) cup.

I plated finished product with the remaining Wisconsin Red Venison sausage that I posted about a while back.

IMG_20221124_141627370.jpg

IMG_20221124_142353414.jpg

It was absolutely outstanding, and there weren't any leftovers.

Cheers.

Looks exceptionally good. However the cost of duck around here is cost prohibitive. That would be 200$ in duck for me. It’s good and yours looks good but just not really doable for me. Enjoy and really nice work.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Looks exceptionally good. However the cost of duck around here is cost prohibitive. That would be 200$ in duck for me. It’s good and yours looks good but just not really doable for me. Enjoy and really nice work.
Wow, that's nuts. I think I got these from Wild Fork Foods for pretty cheap..... not chicken cheap, but not $200 expensive.

Reactions: SmokinEdge

Im not sure if Wild Fork delivers in your area, but their duck is only $4.28 / lbs right now. I actually just ordered two more. FWIW.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky