Rotisserie Babybacks!! Adam made me do it!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I bought a rotisserie attachment for my Santa Maria rig on my kettle.
The first thing I made was a chicken. I only took one photo, but it turned out really good.
Tender & juicy with a slight hint of hickory smoke with nice crispy skin.
After seeing Adams post about spinning ribs, I just had to give that a try.
Publix had a sale on BB's a couple of weeks ago, at $2.99, so I picked up a couple of racks.
Here is a quick photo of the chicken.
1.jpg

Here is the rack of ribs that I picked up, just about 3#.

2.jpg
3.jpg

I wanted to keep the rack whole & I didn't want to stick the forks into the meat. So I positioned the forks to hold the rack by sliding the meat between the forks. Then to better secure it I used some SS wire & wrapped it around the ribs.

4.jpg
5.jpg

I knocked some of the rub off hooking it up to the rod, so I gave it another dusting & onto the fire. I took several photo's while the ribs were cooking & spritzed them every 20-30 minutes with a combo of apple juice, brown sugar, & apple cider vinegar.

6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg

They took about 4 hours to cook & when we got them inside, I let them rest for about 10 minutes. By that time Judy & I both had a bit too many adult beverages & I didn't get any photo's of the ribs before we ate them. As you can see it looks like I cut them with an ax. I'm surprised I even got the one shot of what was left when I remembered to take a photo.

15.jpg

These were excellent ribs. Tender, juicy, and they had a wonderful flavor from the wood fire.
I will definitely be doing this many more times!!
Thanks for looking!!
Al

Great looking ribs Al!

About the only attachment left that you need for your Santa Maria is satellite TV haha.

They look great Al. Different texture then normally smoked ribs.

Dang that looks good! I should be ordering my SM this month but I will probably wait a while for the rotisserie attachment unless you keep posting pics like that.

So what did you think about using that with chicken vs spatchcock on the SM?

Nice . Those look great . Get ya a hog pen , you can raise your own ribs !

That’s a really cool setup, awesome looking ribs. I’m sure they were very tasty. Thanks for posting. I don’t know a lot about the Santa Maria style grills, but is there any way to know for sure how hot the meat is cooking at? I know you can raise and lower the cooking height, so is it mainly trial and error and just learning you grill?

Great looking ribs Al!

About the only attachment left that you need for your Santa Maria is satellite TV haha.

Thanks eddie!
Hmmm satelite tv, sounds like a winner!!
Al

Al, Good looking ribs! Adam has got you hooked on a new way to smoke ! :)

Thank you & yes Adam sure has!
Al

Looks great Al you have to watch that Adam he can make trouble. :emoji_laughing:

Warren

Thanks Warren!
And you are right, Adam has me hooked!

Awesome looking ribs!!

I think you’re making me wanna but a weber kettle....a Santa Maria attachment....and a rotisserie!

Thanks Buddy!
it is a pretty small investment with huge results!!
Al

Gotta love the new toys, especially when they have you 'turning' out great Q!
Nice cook, hacked or not, gimme three bones please.

Thanks John, yea the knife skills were a little shabby, but the state we were in , I'm surprised we even bothered to try & cut them up. Judy & I should have just gnawed on each end of the rack!
Al

Fantastic Al !!
Awesome Toy---Awesome Results!!!
Nice Job, Al.
Like.

Bear

Thank you John!
Appreciate the like & kind words!!
Al

They look great Al. Different texture then normally smoked ribs.

Thanks Adam, and yes you are right the taste & texture are different, but I think I like them better!!
Thank you for getting me started on doing ribs this way!!
Al

Dang that looks good! I should be ordering my SM this month but I will probably wait a while for the rotisserie attachment unless you keep posting pics like that.

So what did you think about using that with chicken vs spatchcock on the SM?

Thanks Brad, I would get the rotisserie attachment when you buy the unit, cause Jr. will weld the brackets on & you don't have to mess with drilling a bunch of holes. IMHO the rotisserie chicken is much better than the spatchcocked one & I probably did 6 or 7 spatchcocked chickens on the grate, & the one I did whole on the spit was much better. More juicy & had more of a flavor that said this was cooked over hickory.
Al

Nice . Those look great . Get ya a hog pen , you can raise your own ribs !

Thanks Chop!
I don't think the neighbors would like a hog running around in my backyard! I do live in a retirement community!!
Al

That’s a really cool setup, awesome looking ribs. I’m sure they were very tasty. Thanks for posting. I don’t know a lot about the Santa Maria style grills, but is there any way to know for sure how hot the meat is cooking at? I know you can raise and lower the cooking height, so is it mainly trial and error and just learning you grill?

Thanks SL!
The directions with the setup said to keep the flames kissing the meat, so when the fire dies down you lower the grate & when you add a new split & the fire gets hotter you just raise the grate, or rotisserie. It is a learning process just like any other pit. But so far I haven't had any bad experiences. It's a pretty easy learning curve!
Al

Man those look good! Points for sure

Nice looking ribs!

Thanks fellas!!!
Al

Al's house of Q. Those ribs look great!!

Point for sure
Chris

Man oh man those look good Al. The new toy is putting out some good eats for you and the Mrs.

Al the ribs look fantasic!
That rotisserie attachment for the Santa Maria rig on your kettle is the bomb.
Thanks for sharing!

It’s about time Al, I fork mine all the time don’t really see any issues. I can even do two racks at a time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky