1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Resmoking A Store Bought Ham Help?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by lathechips, Jul 10, 2018.

1. lathechips

lathechips Fire Starter

Just gota a deal on a cheap precooked shank ham. 50% off + a coupon & use or freeze in a week or so + it might be too big for my MES 40 smoker. ? is can I big chunk it, stab it with an ice pick, soak it in or rub it ?, & resmoke. And what temp, how long, ect. Thanks to who reply. Hey I want to make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

3. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Use the search feature here for Double Smoked Ham. A few options.

4. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

I'm pretty sure Bearcarver does double smoked hams in his MES's. So it should be possible. To prep all I do is take most of the skin off attach some pineapple with toothpick and take some of the fat that was trimmed off and stick it on top of the toothpicks. Then let her go until it reaches temp. I just did one for my Monte Christo sandwich post.

Chris

5. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

To big to fit in a mes 40 ,,, That's a big ham .
    This is one I did with Bear's guide line . No glaze , had the fat in a foil pouch with holes poked in it above the picnic .
    Comes out real good .
    dbl smoked ham.jpg

6. petehalsted

petehalsted Smoking Fanatic

Yes as other have said, bear is your spirit guide animal for this one. I have done 2 hams following his process, with fantastic results.

7. johnmeyer

johnmeyer Master of the Pit