Red's Smoked Meatloaf - Qview Heavy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
Happy Sunday Evening, SMF Friends!

One of the things I've been meaning to try forever is smoking a meatloaf.  I don't really know why I hadn't done this yet...I've been watching many of my smoking buddies here do this forever...and kept meaning to do some for myself.  But for whatever reason, I'd still not gotten around to it.  So last night, Mrs. Red and I got to talking about how long it's been since we've made a meatloaf...a good chance to finally smoke one and see for ourselves what my buddies have been raving about.

On with the Qview!

My basic meatloaf recipe:

2 lbs. ground beef

1.5 cups Italian bread crumbs

1/2 cup milk

1 egg

1/2 cup chopped bell pepper

1/2 cup chopped white onion

2 TBS. Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup ketchup

salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and form into the loaf.  I put the loaf on an well-oiled wire oven rack, over a large pan to catch the drippings.

This went into the smoker at about noon.

The BBQ Guru kept the Limo Jr running at a constant 250*, I'm burning B&B Oak Charcoal briquettes, and hickory chunks for smoke.

Here's a shot from about 3 hours in.  The IT is about 145*.  I figured about another hour to go, so it's time to mix up a glaze and coat the top of the loaf.

The glaze recipe:

1/2 cup ketchup

1 TBS brown sugar

1 TBS yellow mustard

Just about an hour later, and the IT is right at 165*.

Resting on the counter for a few minutes while I saute some green beans.

Sliced a nice slab, and plated up along with a healthy helping of green beans sauteed in garlic-infused olive oil.

A couple closer looks:

The verdict:  All I can say is Wow...Delicious!  Mrs. Red said I needed my arse kicked for not doing this sooner!  I have to agree...I put off trying smoked meatloaf way too long!  This definitely goes into the regular smoking rotation.  Only thing I'll do differently next time is pull it a little sooner so the temp carryover doesn't start drying it out a bit...maybe pull at an IT of no more than 160*.

The best thing is, there's enough leftover to freeze some for another dinner, and still have plenty for meatloaf sandwiches all week (a favorite of both Mrs. Red and myself).

I hope ya'll enjoyed...thanks for checking it out!

Red

That sir is a great looking meatloaf.

It's been a long time since I made one.

Maybe this week.

OK, last week it was the killer wings, and now this meatloaf?  Red, you're not helping my waistline one bit, sir! 

Point on this meatloaf:  like you, I've been wanting to do this for a long time--thanks for convincing me to do so.  My go-to is Paul Prudhomme's cajun meatloaf.  I can only imagine how festive that's going to be with the smoke bath.  Thanks again.

OK, last week it was the killer wings, and now this meatloaf?  Red, you're not helping my waistline one bit, sir! 

Point on this meatloaf:  like you, I've been wanting to do this for a long time--thanks for convincing me to do so.  My go-to is Paul Prudhomme's cajun meatloaf.  I can only imagine how festive that's going to be with the smoke bath.  Thanks again.

Hah! Sorry about your waistline brother, but I've got my own problems with girth! :biggrin:

Thanks for the point!

Thanks for the reminder havent done a meatloaf in a while.

No sweat Brother...thanks for stopping by!

Red

Last edited:
Next time take it off the pit at an IT of 150.  Thank me later.  
biggrin.gif

Your meatloaf looks great, I love that pronounced smoke ring.

As far as smoking goes, it's really hard to make a meatloaf any other way now.

Red that's a nice looking meal. I love smoked meatloaf.
icon14.gif
Thanks brother...we love it too!  And thanks for the point!
I've been thinking of doing this. I think I'm convinced. Maybe next weekend.
Give it a try...I bet you'll love it!

Next time take it off the pit at an IT of 150.  Thank me later.  
biggrin.gif
Don't have to wait 'til later...I'll thank you now!  I was sure I left it too long...still delicious, but bordering on a bit dry.

Red

Your meatloaf looks great, I love that pronounced smoke ring.

As far as smoking goes, it's really hard to make a meatloaf any other way now.
Thanks Xray!  I totally agree...it's the only way I'm likely to do meatloaf from now on!  Thanks for the point!  
icon14.gif

Red That looks great and if the misses is happy,it is a home run Points

Richie
Thanks Richie!  You're right...gotta keep the boss happy!  Appreciate the point!

Looks great Red!

One of our household favorites too!

points1.png
Thanks a bunch Case...appreciate you checking in, and thanks for the point!

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky