Pulled pork, boneless or bone in pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

I'm new to smoking so when doing pulled pork do I use bone in or boneless pork butt?

• Helpful responses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good advice

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For Pulled Pork, it doesn't matter much.
If you Smoke it with a bone in, it will fall out real easy when it's done.
I never noticed a difference in flavor, except I like a Boston Butt much better than a Picnic Shoulder.

Bear

Reactions: JC in GB and Moe
what's ever the better price, as bear said taste wise you won't notice a difference. i'm with bear stick with the boston butt

Reactions: JC in GB
For Pulled Pork, it doesn't matter much.
If you Smoke it with a bone in, it will fall out real easy when it's done.
I never noticed a difference in flavor, except I like a Boston Butt much better than a Picnic Shoulder.

Bear
So in your opinion it isn't drier if you use boneless?

The Shoulder Blade Bone in a Butt, contains very little marrow, compared to the leg Shank Bones and may only have a tiny piece of cartilage, depending on how it was separated from the Picnic. The Blade Bone contributes next to nothing to the flavor or juiciness of the Butt. If your smoker dies while cooking a Bone-in Butt there is little to worry about. Get the heat going and finish the cook. Bonless Butts are no longer sterile in the center, contaminated while cutting out the bone. If anything goes wrong during the cook, heat dies or smoking below 225, you run the risk of Bacteria growth in the center and losing the meat. Boneless, cooked to 145-150 and Sliced, are convenient and portion nicely. For Pulling, you gain Nothing with Boneless Butts and may have to Toss the Meat if anything goes wrong...JJ

Reactions: Moe
Great advice from JJ.
I never thought of it that way, but I always bought bone in butts cause they are uniform in shape & hold together in the smoker without tying them up.
Al

The Shoulder Blade Bone in a Butt, contains very little marrow, compared to the leg Shank Bones and may only have a tiny piece of cartilage, depending on how it was separated from the Picnic. The Blade Bone contributes next to nothing to the flavor or juiciness of the Butt. If your smoker dies while cooking a Bone-in Butt there is little to worry about. Get the heat going and finish the cook. Bonless Butts are no longer sterile in the center, contaminated while cutting out the bone. If anything goes wrong during the cook, heat dies or smoking below 225, you run the risk of Bacteria growth in the center and losing the meat. Boneless, cooked to 145-150 and Sliced, are convenient and portion nicely. For Pulling, you gain Nothing with Boneless Butts and may have to Toss the Meat if anything goes wrong...JJ
So the 2 boneless butts I bought should be good for pulled pork.

Yes they will. As others have said it doesn't make a difference in taste/texture. For me it's what's available.

Chris

Let's get this straight now.
There may be a benefit safety-wise with a Bone In, if you keep it in the danger zone too long.
However I was comparing the taste of the Shoulder Blade bone in Butt with the Shoulder Blade boneless Butt.
Those 2 don't make a difference in flavor. Both Awesome!!

However, IMHO, there is a big difference between the Great tasting Shoulder Blade Butt (bone or no bone), than the not as Great tasting Shoulder Shank Bone Butt.

I avoid the Shank Bone Roast, and go for the Shoulder Blade Butt, with or without the bone in.

Bear

Let's get this straight now.
There may be a benefit safety-wise with a Bone In, if you keep it in the danger zone too long.
However I was comparing the taste of the Shoulder Blade bone in Butt with the Shoulder Blade boneless Butt.
Those 2 don't make a difference in flavor. Both Awesome!!

However, IMHO, there is a big difference between the Great tasting Shoulder Blade Butt (bone or no bone), than the not as Great tasting Shoulder Shank Bone Butt.

I avoid the Shank Bone Roast, and go for the Shoulder Blade Butt, with or without the bone in.

Bear
I bought 2 boneless shoulder blade so I'm sure I'll be good to go.
Thanks.

Bear, I'm with you on Picnics, for Pulled Pork, they are inferior. There is less connective tissue and marbling. A good portion of the Picnic is alway Dry, compared to a Butt. I recently marinated and roasted a Picnic Shoulder for Puerto Rican Pernil. The flavor was great but Half the meat was so dry no one wanted to eat it. Sat in the refer a couple of days then the 3 Dogs finished then pork....JJ

Bear, I'm with you on Picnics, for Pulled Pork, they are inferior. There is less connective tissue and marbling. A good portion of the Picnic is alway Dry, compared to a Butt. I recently marinated and roasted a Picnic Shoulder for Puerto Rican Pernil. The flavor was great but Half the meat was so dry no one wanted to eat it. Sat in the refer a couple of days then the 3 Dogs finished then pork....JJ

Yup---I noticed that with my recently done Cured Butt Ham. Using only Boston Butts from now on.

Did you ever notice how Dogs never complain? LOL

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky