Pulled Pork Green Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks and sounds good Dave. Sounds like something I will have to try.

* pound roast = 3 pound of finished. Was that because of big bone and lots of fat, or just shrunk down that much from smoking, just wondering, Thanks

David

That looks absolutely fantastic! I'm drooling over that bowl right now. Very well done!

I actually tried this myself and it didn't come out so well. I made pulled pork several months ago and vacuum sealed and froze the leftovers. I also managed to load up on hatch chiles while they were in season and roasted, peeled, vacuum sealed and froze a bunch of them.

A couple weeks ago I decided to make a batch of pork and green chili stew. I ended up dumping the thawed pulled pork into the chile/onion/seasoning/stock broth and let it simmer for several hours. The house smelled wonderful, but when I ate the chili, the meat was soft, kind of slimy, and stringy. I've decided next time (I've got the fixins for another batch) I will not put the meat in as soon and I'll chop it up a bit so the "strings" aren't as long, but soon enough in the cook to impart the smokey flavor into the broth.

Any hints from your cook for an amateur like me before I try another batch?

I love pork and green chile stew. Well done!
I will post the recipe Ive used for years when I am at my PC here in a bit.

the pulled pork I make for the green has only salt and pepper rub. The last two I bought bone in and deboned them before smoking and smoked the bone. When pulling - I try to remove as much fat and connective tissue as possible. I hand pull it and use a knife to make the chucks the right size for chili. Then follow the recipe. Bone goes in the pot too Then discarded when done. Recipe is pretty easy and forgiving…so you can use more or less pork or green chilis depending on whatcha got and how much of either ya like. I tent to go heavy on the meat so its real hearty.

Looks and sounds good Dave. Sounds like something I will have to try.

* pound roast = 3 pound of finished. Was that because of big bone and lots of fat, or just shrunk down that much from smoking, just wondering, Thanks

David
I think it was all that. 1.5 lbs of fat trimmed before the start, then the bone, then the normal reduction. Worked out to be just about right.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I used to have a friend that was from New Mexico, and she would make green chili for various events. There was only a couple of us east coast boys that could handle it. Sure, miss her chili.

Warren

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Green Chili

2.5 - 3 lb. boneless country pork ribs or pulled pork
3-4 cloves garlic sliced thin
1 onion diced
1 lb. frozen Hatch Mild Chilies (505 frozen green chilies are also good)
16 oz. chicken stock (home made is best)
16 oz. beer – Coors Banquet, or a lager – something lite
28 oz. canned tomatillos, drained and crushed
1 TBSP oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp rep pepper flake OR Chipotle pepper
1.5 TBSP Ancho chili powder
1-14 oz. can dice tomatoes
Salt to taste

1. Grill pork till done, cool and dice, save and juice and set aside.
2. Brown onion
3. Add garlic for 1 minute
4. Add pork and combine briefly.
5. Add remaining ingredients
6. Simmer 1-2 hours to desired thickness.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky