Pork butt prices and quality

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Unfortunately I didn't have much luck today at GFS.
IMG_6581.jpg

OUCH ... You say your in the Tampa area... Which GFS is it... St. Pete, Carrollwood , Brandon, Clearwater, Bradenton, or Sarasota ?

Bradenton is the closest to me...

OUCH ... You say your in the Tampa area... Which GFS is it... St. Pete, Carrollwood , Brandon, Clearwater, Bradenton, or Sarasota ?

Bradenton is the closest to me...
Was the one on US 19N in Clearwater.

Ron,

the boneless costco butts are good and some of my fav to use. I have purchased some from Winn Dixie and Harveys for 1.68/lb over the last few months and they were ok as well. I still prefer the costco ones for the money.

Reactions: ron50
Publix was having a sale. Not bad at $1.99/lb.

I like my local Publix. That's where we get the majority of our fresh meat.
They do have a habit of trimming excess (in their eyes) fat.
Get to know the meat manager and ask them to not trim a shoulder for you.
Same during the holiday prime rib sales. Ask what they get in and ask them to either whole package or number of rib size.

Great post as I start searching for pork butts for my inaugural smoke on my new Traeger pellet smoker. Glad you found a sale at Publix that matches the price of the box stores, I do like the quality of their meat. Used to buy my pork butts at Sams's club, but they closed down the store in Daytona and moved 10 miles north.

Just go to the meat counter at Publix & ask for a 2 pack around 18 lbs. They will be cryo’d & they are very good quality. I think they are on sale this week for $1.99
Al

Reactions: 912smoker and ron50
I can usually find Food Lion, Swift, or Smithfield bone-in for 1.29 (used to be 0.99). To me seem fine for most intended uses.
But I am more gourmand than gourmet.

Reactions: 912smoker
1.49 lb. at Winn Dixie here in Jacksonville. limit 2....Got 2 , but im going back saturday and sunday for 4 more...

Shopped at Clermont FL Costco today
The boneless 2 pack of pork butt had an in store special at $8 off the package. Purchased a 15.5# package to that works out to roughly a 50¢ per pound discount. $1.99 reduced to $1.49 per pound. I'll be grinding most it soon. It has a pack date of 8 February so not in a hurry, but this weekend is also convenient.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Harris Teeter here has Smithfield for 0.97 with e-Vic card (limit 2), Sat & Sun

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky