Pulled Beef and Pork, and Ribs for the family

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

loosechangedru

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Gainesville, FL
My family (7 adults and 2 kids) is going to Blue Ridge for an extended weekend, and we've divided meal duties amongst different family members. As fun as it would be to run my 18.5 WSM at our cabin rental, I don't think it would outweigh the pain of traveling with it in a Prius. I decided to smoke the meat ahead of time, vacuum seal, freeze, and hope for the best when I heat it up this weekend. I thawed a few racks of spareribs I was saving for a rainy day, and picked up a 3lb chuck and 5lb pork butt on sale. 7 pounds of pulled meat and 3 racks of ribs oughta feed that many...right? (That brisket in the left of the fridge is for next week).

380450-18866610043d70e8a60f691a767fb8a1.jpg

I used Meathead's Memphis Dust on the pork butt and ribs, and Big Bad Beef Rub on the chuck. Full disclosure, both of these rub recipes are off of Amazingribs.com and I just recently tried them - hope that's not too faux pas, but it's pretty good, and from there I can tweak it and make it my own.

To the Smoker 1.jpeg To the Smoker 2.jpeg To the Smoker 3.jpeg

I got my smoker settled in at 260* around 10pm Tuesday night with the chuck and butt on the bottom rack, and trusted in my new Flameboss 100 as I went to bed. Got up the next morning around 730 and my temp had fallen to 200 as I was on my last bits of lump charcoal. Reloaded the charcoal ring after moving the embers to the center, and we're off again!

And on with the ribs - with the bottom rack taken up, and no rib rack, I knew it would be "tricky" getting 3 racks on the top grate. Luckily, the chuck was done by the time I had the ribs rubbed and ready to go in, so one went on the bottom rack with the butt.

Chuck finished.jpg
Chuck pulled.jpg

3-2-1 ribs went perfect, and finished up shortly after I took the pork butt out. So, the chuck took 9+ hours, and the pork butt about 16.

Pork finished 1.jpg Foiled.jpg To the Smoker 4.jpg
Ribs done 1.jpg
Ribs done 3.jpg

I made sure to sneak a rib before they got vacuum sealed and packed into the freezer. Perfect! If the rest of the meat is half as good this weekend, my family will be pleased, but here's hoping for better than half :)

Bone.jpg Frozen.jpg

Attachments

• Fridge.jpg
    Fridge.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 23
  • To the Smoker 4.jpg
    To the Smoker 4.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 22
Looks really good, have fun on the trip.

Point for sure.
Chris

I don't care what and how long ago I ate, something about smoked meat pics will also me me salivate.

I see you have quite a lot of exposed bone on the ribs. Does the bone ever start protruding from the underside and want to separate from the meat for you?

Reactions: loosechangedru
I don't care what and how long ago I ate, something about smoked meat pics will also me me salivate.

I see you have quite a lot of exposed bone on the ribs. Does the bone ever start protruding from the underside and want to separate from the meat for you?

I think once or twice, but it was quite the anomaly. I think it has more to do with the cut and the animal than the bbq technique, imo, but of course not completely.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky