Porkapalooza!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This convinces me to grind my fat separately
To be clear, what I ground through the 3mm plate was about a 60fat/40lean trim mix. The lean helps the fat separate easily for better distribution. It also increases soluble protein for a better bind with the large chunks of meat. Grind first through 6mm plate, then through the 3mm plate....and make damn sure the meat/fat is below 32*F!! Preferably in the 30*F range. You will get a much better grind. Then chill it down to ~27*F stirring often to loosen the fat up. It should be crumbly and pebble like. will really mix easily with the lean like this.....you want it very loose!

edit to add: The fine grind on the fat allows it to marble in between the big chunks of meat.
I do this with several different sausages and it works very well. In some sausages beef lean can be mixed in the fine grind for its water holding ability, mostly though I find pork more than adequate. That combination of larger grind and fine grind really makes an excellent bind and very good texture.

Reactions: indaswamp
I should have waited for my porkapalooza.....
IMG_20240408_164503.jpg

Might be porkapalooza 2.0 next weekend!! LOL!!

I want to make more tasso and have a couple salamis I am getting low on....pistachio and lemon, and pepperoni. I also want to revisit making a large diameter Genoa...4-5" diameter....

Pulled the tasso out of the fridge this afternoon. 6 days on the salt and cure so time to smoke...
IMG_20240409_163057.jpg

In the Worcestershire and Hot Sauce mixture to wet the surface...
IMG_20240409_163100.jpg

Then coat with the Tasso rub...
IMG_20240409_165553.jpg

In the smokehouse....
IMG_20240409_171813.jpg

And rolling smoke... using the same mix for smoke as the Andouille....
IMG_20240409_172856.jpg

Tasso has been smoking for 3.5 hours so time to crank the heat up to 200*F for about 45 minutes to finish it. Pics. when I pull 'em from the smokehouse....

Waited few days to cold smoke the Nduja. This helped allow the casings to dry more and a cold front to blow through to push temps. down at night. Suppose to be down to 52*F tonight so perfect. Loaded up and ready to rock with some of Dave's pellet dust in the smoke tube. Using hickory but for this it really does not matter...used what I had made up already. You can see the casings really darkened up once they dried...
IMG_20240410_211204.jpg

Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky