Pork Steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBCWCHS06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Was watching the Chuds BBQ youtube channel and remember seeing him do pork steaks cut from a pork butt and sounded really good. Luck would have it Kroger had Buy One Get One Free Pork Butts so bought 2 one for some pulled pork soon and another I had them cut into steaks. In his video he did them with direct heat I think. Was wondering if that would be the best way to cook them or if I could almost reverse sear them like a steak or just smoke them like you would normal pork chops. Excited to try something new this weekend just don't know for sure how I wanna attack these.

Attachments

• IMG_20230427_170805042.jpg
    IMG_20230427_170805042.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 15
Here is a good way to cook them...

As is this...
There are plenty of other methods, just do a search for "pork steaks".

Personally, I like them seasoned with most any rub and reversed seared...

Here is a good way to cook them...

As is this...
There are plenty of other methods, just do a search for "pork steaks".

Personally, I like them seasoned with most any rub and reversed seared...
Yeah that's what I'm really leaning towards is a reverse sear want that smoke flavor but a nice crust on them as well. Think they will cook up nice with it being pork butt too with a decent amount of fat.

Being in pork steak country, we had done quite a few pork steaks direct grilled. Then, the founder of our BEST BBQ joint (Pappy's) was a guest on Raichlen's Project Smoke and showed him smoking nice and thick pork steaks. He smoked them with a nice sear at the end. I highly recommend the recips and the method. Here is the link to the recipe and instructions on how to cook them: https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/saint-louis-style-pork-steaks/

Hope you try and enjoy! - Kim

Being in pork steak country, we had done quite a few pork steaks direct grilled. Then, the founder of our BEST BBQ joint (Pappy's) was a guest on Raichlen's Project Smoke and showed him smoking nice and thick pork steaks. He smoked them with a nice sear at the end. I highly recommend the recips and the method. Here is the link to the recipe and instructions on how to cook them: https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/saint-louis-style-pork-steaks/

Hope you try and enjoy! - Kim

This right here ! That makes a great pork steak.

I've also done the Chud method. He uses his direct heat cooker, the Chud Box, but I did the same thing with an 18 WSM , taking out the water pan cooking on the top grate.

Chud cuts a thicker steak, he does it himself and cuts them 2" thick and his method is good for that thickness. But less than that, I liked Pappy's better.

Chud also mops his pork steak, he's emulating a method used at Snows BBQ, where Tootsie cooks on direct heat smokers. What I found with that method, is the steak goes into a stall just like a full butt. And when I mopped it extended the stall. Its been a couple years since I did this, but I recall it taking a long time to get done.

I liked Pappy's method of taking the steak to 165* to 175* and then searing to finish.

I've also tried cutting a pork butt into four 2" steaks. " pro tip " put it in the freezer for a couple of hours before starting. I " butchered " the last butt I tried because I did not think that necessary. I used a meat saw blade in a reciprocal saw to get through the bone but its too unwieldy for the rest of the butt, a butcher knife works fine.

Grill pork steaks all the time but we have the butcher cut them 1.5" thick. Grocers around here always have them way to thin and they easily get burned up unless you park yourself at the grill for the entire period. I use SPG, then lightly baste with Italian dressing.

Getting it nailed down comes with experience . Each cook can be different . I do them all different ways , but the point is you have to get them rendered . People don't cook them long enough , or to the right internal temp . Don't think Pork Chop .
These are indirect on a kettle . You want to look for the shrink back from the bone .
These never saw direct heat .
1682688470161.jpeg
Then sauce them up if you like . Let in cook in .
I put them in a pan and cover with foil . Let them sit on the counter for a bit .
Cuts with a fork .
1682689131463.jpeg
One of our favorite ways is to use Italian bread crumbs . Cook indirect until the coating sets . Then spin the grate over the coals .
1682689310745.jpeg
Sauce at the very end and serve .
1682689381245.jpeg

There are so many ways to do pork steaks , as can be seen above. All the ways are great and the good thing is you can try them all, and figure which way is you house favorite.

We do a lot of pork steaks and chops, and the way we do them is how we feel at the time ( or how Mona says we want them :emoji_laughing: )

Enjoy the Q testing, love that we can eat most of the trials and errors

David

You should try that bread crumb method sometime . Takes some effort and cooking technique , but done right they're another level . Be right up your alley .
I bought a pack yesterday . Gonna cook 'em up Sunday .

Thanks Rich, I have been thinking of this for a while. And after seeing yours it reminded me that Chris gmc2003 gmc2003 , told me about this a while back. Guess I am putting too much in my memory bank and not going through it ...lol

Show Sundays cook to remind me again, we like shake and bake, so this is a for sure thing here . Hopefully soon

David

Thanks to all for posting all this great information. I just happened to buy 6 butts yesterday and cut 4 of them into steaks. Individually vacuum packed them and stacked in the freezer. I'm looking forward to trying some of these great recipes. My mouth is watering just thinking of it.

Reactions: 912smoker
We love them too and prefer the reverse sear method. Been a couple of weeks but ibe of our favorite meals!

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky