Pork Steaks on the gas grill .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Got a nice pack of center cut pork steaks at the store last Friday . Not a bad price on the package , and it's been awhile since I've had any .
In St. Louis BBQ means pork steaks . It's changed now days , but growing up it was Pork steaks , hamburgers and hot dogs .
I normally wouldn't do these on a gas gill , but we had tornado watches and bad weather threats yesterday . Really windy too . So I wanted something I could shut down short notice .
I have a Genesis 310 , and about a month ago I put 16 ga. flavor bars and deflectors in it . Made this a different grill .
Not a lot of pics , but I soaked the steaks in sweet Italian dressing for a couple hours .
Then on a hot grill over direct flame . Got a good char , turned the heat down and moved them to the middle and shut that burner off .
Started saucing and let them ride at lower heat around 300 .
My opinion is you need that hard sear on the outside , before cooking slow . The fat on the edge needs to be rendered and crunchy for my taste , and the sear locks juices inside . These were fantastic . Tender , juicy and just the right chew on the fatty edges .
Here's the pics I got .
Moved to the center , heat turned down .
Starting the sauce .
20211024_173300.jpg
Just letting them ride until tender and the fat renders enough .
20211024_173323.jpg 20211024_173328.jpg
Pulled and onto a sheet pan waiting for the rest to finish .
20211024_174332.jpg 20211024_180939.jpg
Box mac and cheese , and a steamer veg made this an easy meal with not much clean up .
20211024_181148.jpg 20211024_181155.jpg
These were perfect . So tender . Not soft , and the fat rendered perfect .
Sauce was SBR's , some brown sugar and a little scalded bourbon .
I had a section about 8:00 for breakfast . Gonna be lunch too .

Awesome!!!
I love them!!
I've been looking every week on the "Giant" site, and they never have them!!
Mrs Bear used to get them from Giant, so maybe they just don't show them on their Web Site, but I can't order them if they aren't on their Site.
If I ever get some, I hope I can make them look as good as yours look, Rich!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Those look amazing Rich!!! About how long you cook? I wish i would of bought the 310. The 410 is just to big! Just bought it because on clearance for 1/2 price.

Those look amazing Rich!!! About how long you cook?
Thanks Brian . They were great . That hard sear locks in the moisture , then I just go until the fat starts to break down . Time wise , I'm gonna guess around 2 hours .

I wish i would of bought the 310. The 410 is just to big! Just bought it because on clearance for 1/2 price.
That 410 is a nice grill . This one is about right for me though .
Did you put the heavy gauge stuff in yours ? Did it make a difference ?

Wow Rich that is one nice meal man. I love soaking chops in Italian dressing as well. Really adds a nice flavor and I love the char you get from the grill. Makes me want to throw some chops on tonight. Saw that Busch light peeking out nice choice!

John

Wow Rich that is one nice meal man.
Thanks John . Really nailed that one . The gas grill might be the go to for pork steaks now .

I love soaking chops in Italian dressing as well.
Yeah , I haven't used it in awhile . Used to do it all the time . Really is a nice add to the whole cook .

Wow! Those are BBQ book perfect! Definitely not surprised they tasted just as amazing! Thank you for sharing and congrats on beating the weather!!! Big like for that chow!
JW

Those are some of the nicest pork steaks that I have seen. I'm going to give your method a try. Thanks for posting.

Those look really good! Great color on them! Been a long time since we had any... might have to change that. Good choice of beer also!

Ryan

My opinion is you need that hard sear on the outside , before cooking slow . The fat on the edge needs to be rendered and crunchy for my taste , and the sear locks juices inside . These were fantastic . Tender , juicy and just the right chew on the fatty edges .
Yup, Uh-huh, and Yes Sir!

Thanks Brian . They were great . That hard sear locks in the moisture , then I just go until the fat starts to break down . Time wise , I'm gonna guess around 2 hours .

That 410 is a nice grill . This one is about right for me though .
Did you put the heavy gauge stuff in yours ? Did it make a difference ?
I did the bars but not the deflector. Probably need do that also. I tried a steak but still not great char. My Silver does great so really don't for that.

Nice looking Pig Steaks! I was in my teens before I had a Rib Loin Chop at home. Butt Steaks were Pork Chops to us kids. Dad hated how lean and dry well done Loin Chops were.
This winter, try hitting them with SPOG and pan frying with Bacon Grease. Top with Caramelized Onions and serve with Mashed Taters and Le sueur Baby Peas. It's my Wife's favorite meal. Good eats for sure...JJ

Wow! Those are BBQ book perfect! Definitely not surprised they tasted just as amazing!
Thank you sir . Appreciate that comment

Those are some of the nicest pork steaks that I have seen. I'm going to give your method a try. Thanks for posting.
Ron , I appreciate that comment . They can make you think you're over cooking them . Hard sear , then back down the heat . Give it a try .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky