Pork Butt Fat Cap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tech49

Original poster
Apr 10, 2020
Hey Guys,
Is it best to remove the fat from a pork butt prior to smoking? I am wondering how well the rub will do if it is on the fat rather than directly on the meat?

Thanks!

Personal preference for me is to leave a good amount on, I love that stuff after it’s smoked and rendered down!!

6 to one 1/2 dozen to another.....do what makes you and your family happy.
I've never had a problem building bark on the butts that I've trimmed up.

You can always slice a criss-cross pattern into the fat. That way the rub has a way of getting to the meat and you retain the fat.

Chris

Good tip! I do this myself.

DSC05419.jpg

DSC05408.jpg

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I trim it because i dont like to eat it. i get great bark without it and it never renders its too dense.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)
Same reason I trim mine, I don't eat the fat and there is more than enough intramuscular fat/ marbling in pork butts to keep them nice and moist. There is no right or wrong way, try it both ways and see which way your family prefers it..that is the right way for you.:emoji_thumbsup:

You know what??----It might be just me, but I like mixing some of that outer Fat/Bark to my pulled Pork & Pulled Beef.
However I try to pick out most of the internal fat, because it's much different than the outer fat. The internal fat seems like a disgusting, sickening slimy substance to me.
I wouldn't think I'm the only one who thinks this, but maybe I am.

Bear

Reactions: Sowsage
You know what??----It might be just me, but I like mixing some of that outer Fat/Bark to my pulled Pork & Pulled Beef.
However I try to pick out most of the internal fat, because it's much different than the outer fat. The internal fat seems like a disgusting, sickening slimy substance to me.

Bear

No; Your not the only one.

Reactions: Bearcarver

Bear
Agreed! Two completely different fats! Love the outside fat!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky