Favorite injection for pork butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimpomonis

Original poster
Nov 28, 2022
I'm going to smoke a pork butt this weekend and am looking to try a new injection for the hell of it. I've done a lot of the usual stuff - peach juice, pineapple juice, and have even tried soy sauce and worcestershire sauce with peach juice (not bad, actually). I'd just be interested to hear from the community if anyone has any unique injections and how they've turned out. Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm going to smoke a pork butt this weekend and am looking to try a new injection for the hell of it. I've done a lot of the usual stuff - peach juice, pineapple juice, and have even tried soy sauce and worcestershire sauce with peach juice (not bad, actually). I'd just be interested to hear from the community if anyone has any unique injections and how they've turned out. Thanks!
So I ended up going with a pineapple/mango juice blend with apple cider vinegar (4:1) and added some salt, cumin and cayenne. I think I might be on to something with this one.

I've never injects anything into anything. Curious - Pro and Cons???

I've never injects anything into anything. Curious - Pro and Cons???
Pros - it can add some nice flavor to your meat, just like seasoning any food can, and can also keep things juicer, especially for longer cooks; also if you use MSG or similar in the injection, it can do some additional tenderizing. Cons - it can be a mess and you need to plan ahead to let it marinate in the injection for at least a few hours.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're injecting, don't you need to follow the fridge to 140° in 4 hour rule? If that doesn't apply here, I apologize.

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're injecting, don't you need to follow the fridge to 140° in 4 hour rule? If that doesn't apply here, I apologize.
I don't want to convince anyone to do anything different that they feel is important for food safety, but the 140 degree temp within 4 hours seems to be more important AFTER a cook than before it. If you're cooking to an internal temp around 200 degrees, you're killing everything that may have started to grow.

Reactions: SmokeRing0909
This is the best but you will have to scale it down. I sub ACV instead of white and also add STPP.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/hog-injection-365433
So how much do you scale by for a typical 7# pork butt? In other words, how much do you end up injecting?
Can you inject a full cup of solution? (For Myron's 5qt recipe, that's scaling by a factor of 20.)

A little searching seems to show injections running from 6% (fluid oz per pound of meat) to 10%. Not sure if a fattier butt would take more or less than a meatier loin?

When this topic came up a few years ago, vinegar-containing injections had some detractors, esp if the plan is to pull the pork when finished:

I don't want to convince anyone to do anything different that they feel is important for food safety, but the 140 degree temp within 4 hours seems to be more important AFTER a cook than before it. If you're cooking to an internal temp around 200 degrees, you're killing everything that may have started to grow.
Because you push potential surface bacteria inside the meat the 4 hour rule applies for sure in my opinion. Interested to hear what others have to say on that though. For something different I've used a blend of chicken broth, chipotle adobo sauce and dry taco seasoning as an injection. Rubbed with the taco style seasoning and used for tacos.

This was my go-to for years, the Chris Lilly Championship Injection but I no longer inject.

Malcolm Reed convinced me that its best to add a finishing rub after the butt is pulled. That will get more complete flavor into the pork without the hassle and mess of injecting.

The last few butt cooks I've done, I've put Kosmos Dirty Bird on the pulled pork and the flavor is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: gmc2003
The 40-140 rule is important for injected meat because you don’t want the bacteria to dwell long enough below 140 to create toxins. Once they produce toxin no amount of cooking temp will remove the toxin if present.

I've used this one for years. The family loves it. I use this when I do a low and slow overnight cook.

Pork Injection

2 quarts apple juice
2 cups white vinegar
2 pounds sugar
½ pound brown sugar
1 cup salt
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
½ cup Accent (MSG) (optional)
28 grams phosphates (optional)

Bring to a low boil, then stir until sugars and salt are dissolved. Let cool. Will keep in the refrigerator for months.

Makes enough for 4 pork butts.

So how much do you scale by for a typical 7# pork butt? In other words, how much do you end up injecting?
Can you inject a full cup of solution? (For Myron's 5qt recipe, that's scaling by a factor of 20.)

A little searching seems to show injections running from 6% (fluid oz per pound of meat) to 10%. Not sure if a fattier butt would take more or less than a meatier loin?
Sounds good. You really can only get 10% in there. I would say a tad more than a cup.

YES it's messy and can be a pain but worth it. Adding a rub or finishing sauce with the defatted liquid gold (drippings) AFTER pulling can you get you sorta the effect but doubt it would be as uniform and consistent as injecting. There is also the possiblity you add too much stuff and overdo it.

40-140 non issue for me as I halve my butts. Done is about half the time and 2x more bark.

I don’t inject due to the 40-140 safety part. Not worth it to me since I use Jimmy j’s finishing sauce and it works everytime!

Reactions: Flatrate
So two thoughts: 1.) it ain't BBQ if you don't debate how to or whether to do something. I need to try and run a side by side injected vs not injected test sometime. I imagine others here have and I'd love to hear the results. 2.) For the 40-140 issue (again you need to do what you need to do to be safe), I don't think people apply it the same way throughout the "life" of their uncooked meat. If people are worried about getting a butt or brisket on the smoker within 4 hours of it coming out of the fridge, should be also ensure that we're getting it on the smoker within 4 hours of buying it at the store? I certainly think the typical time to get it home and put away is at least as long as it is to inject. In other words, how long it's out of the fridge matters as well.

Reactions: okie sawbones
So two thoughts: 1.) it ain't BBQ if you don't debate how to or whether to do something. I need to try and run a side by side injected vs not injected test sometime. I imagine others here have and I'd love to hear the results. 2.) For the 40-140 issue (again you need to do what you need to do to be safe), I don't think people apply it the same way throughout the "life" of their uncooked meat. If people are worried about getting a butt or brisket on the smoker within 4 hours of it coming out of the fridge, should be also ensure that we're getting it on the smoker within 4 hours of buying it at the store? I certainly think the typical time to get it home and put away is at least as long as it is to inject. In other words, how long it's out of the fridge matters as well.
I don't think you're understanding the 40 to 140 in 4 hour rule. In your case of injecting the meat, the internal temp of the meat needs to get from 40°(fridge temp) to 140° within four hours to kill the stuff that could put you in a hospital bed. The simple act of injecting might introduce toxins that will only be killed if you follow that rule. The injection fluid itself could have toxins, and/or the device used to inject could also be tainted. If I'm smoking a large chunk of meat, I don't want to be limited by the rule. This is why I don't inject large hunks of meat (brisket, pork butt, etc.). What if that costly brisket that you injected took 6+ hours to get to 140 because you started smoking at a lower temp? (The pellet poopers might understand that one). Would you risk letting other people eat that? If I'm only smoking something I've injected for just my consumption, I follow this rule. If what I'm smoking is going to be consumed by people I care about, I err on the side of caution and get it to 140 with a little time to spare. Do a search on this forum, and you'll find reams of info on this by people that have forgotten more about this than I will ever know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky