Pork belly in freezer for a yr...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 30, 2015
upstate ny
I cleaned out my chest freezer today, and found a 15# pork belly. It's been vac sealed and the bag has not lost its seal. It's been in there for 13 months.

Is it still good, or do I have some very lucky dogs...

Eat it! I bet it's fine. I probably wouldn't cure it for bacon. Braise it, smoke it, prepare it just as pork belly or turn it into pork belly candy.

As long as it's not Freezer Burned I'd make anything you want with it.

But those non-cured, Hot Smoked Belly Strips & Belly Burnt Ends look better to me every time I see them!!!
drool.gif

Bear

I cleaned out my chest freezer today, and found a 15# pork belly. It's been vac sealed and the bag has not lost its seal. It's been in there for 13 months.

Is it still good, or do I have some very lucky dogs...

For allowing this to happen, Ye shall be skewered and BBQ'd at sunset!

Cure it, cook it, smoke it, do what you want with it. As long as it's stayed frozen, and not burned, you're ok.

For allowing this to happen, Ye shall be skewered and BBQ'd at sunset!

Cure it, cook it, smoke it, do what you want with it. As long as it's stayed frozen, and not burned, you're ok.

I know.. I've shamed the SMF community. But trust me you DO NOT want to BBQ me. The smell would be horrendous.

I promise I will redeem myself and regain the members trust...

I know.. I've shamed the SMF community. But trust me you DO NOT want to BBQ me. The smell would be horrendous.

I promise I will redeem myself and regain the members trust...
I have to admit I have a big chunk of homemade bacon in the freezer I made a year ago.   Unsliced.   It looks at me every time I open the freezer.

Is not safe for you to smoke. Send it over - I am very experienced with such hazardous materials as 13months old belly.

Kidding of course. Smoke away.

I have to admit I have a big chunk of homemade bacon in the freezer I made a year ago.   Unsliced.   It looks at me every time I open the freezer.

Well, at least my belly was covered by mounds of venison, lol. Yours was in plain sight.
Shame on you...

Is not safe for you to smoke. Send it over - I am very experienced with such hazardous materials as 13months old belly.

Kidding of course. Smoke away.

Lol,. I would need your certification certificate too officially contain such a hazardous materials. :biggrin:

Yup. It was in the beef freezer thou.

Wait... You had bacon in the beef freezer? In plain sight? Shame on you.

At least my freezers are multi meat- uall. My freezers don't discriminate.

Did I just invent a new word? Lol.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky