Poor Mans Osso Buco

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
Veal Shanks are hard to get good ones in my area,So I picked up some nice Beef Shanks at BJs.Had to smoke my bacon so I put one in the smoker for 45 minutes,should have let it stay longer.

Nice Beef Shank 2" thick

Onions,Carrots,Celery 

Dredged in flour browned both side abot 4 minutes each side

I do the sides a little to cook the flour

Sautee the veggies

Add a half cup Red Wine Reduce by half

Add a can of Petite diced Tomatoes I only had a large can of diced

Use a pan that has a cover for the oven

Simmer for about 2 hrs check with tooth pick for tenderness 

Serve with Butter Noodles,Mashed Potatoes or Rice

Butter noodles today

The little smoke got lost in the braising

But the meal was delicious

Thanks for looking

Richie 

I have NO IDEA what that is, but I really want some of it right now!
Charlie This is an Italian Treat if you have any real good Italian Restaurants they may have it made with Veal Shank

Yes made with Veal is to die for LOL

Richie 

Never made osso bucco with veal bones. Way out of my price range. Always with beef and they were delicious.

Your looks amazing. Bone marrow is the best part.

It looks fantastic Richie!

There is a Country Club restaurant just about 1 mile from our house that has Osso Buco every day from 4 to 7 for $9.99.

Comes with a beer & bread.

Everyone just loves it!

Yours looks better!!

Point!

Al

Never made osso bucco with veal bones. Way out of my price range. Always with beef and they were delicious.

Your looks amazing. Bone marrow is the best part.
Thats why I called it Poor Mans LOL I can't spend that much  money for a bone

Richie 

It looks fantastic Richie!

There is a Country Club restaurant just about 1 mile from our house that has Osso Buco every day from 4 to 7 for $9.99.

Comes with a beer & bread.

Everyone just loves it!

Yours looks better!!

Point!

Al
Al Thanks thats a good price,$9.99 won't cover the meat up here.Thanks for the points I appreciate it

Richie

Looks fantastic! It's even hard for me to find beef shank here! I've used ox tail before and it's great too.

Points!
Case Thanks Ox Tail is popular in the Philippines,its been a few years since I made this,so it was a treat. Thanks for the points I appreciate it

Richie

Damn that looks great Richie.    

Never heard of this before.

Ok, now that looks incredible my friend ! I'm lookin for beef or veal shank next time we're in the store, I gotta give this a try ! Thanks for posting this Richie !

Looks great Richie!  I love  Osso Bucco.  I have made it with beef shanks and pork shanks for the same reason you did.  The veal shanks you get around here are pricey and hardly have any meat on them!  Points for sure!

Beautiful "Round Bone" Richie.  Looks delicious. One of my favorite meals.  Points! b
Brian Thanks I wish the veal was lower price and nicer cuts,but I can take this. Thanks for the points

Damn that looks great Richie.    

Never heard of this before.
Adam I am surprised with how many people are saying that. Thanks for the points

Richie

Looks great. Fresh Pork Hocks are excellent prepared this way...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky