Pollo Asado, Spices / Lime

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
The Double Spatch thread had me hankering for some nicely seasoned Pollo Asado.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/263895/double-spatch
Gotta love the inspiration of flavor cravings that abound here. :drool

The Menu
Pollo Asado, Spices/Lime
Conecuh Salchicha a la parrilla
Arroz Mexicana
Ensalada de Cilantro/Lima
Apple/Pear Dump Cake with crushed Pecans

Rub
4T McCormicks Grill Mates, Mojito Lime seasoning
2T Cilantro, flakes dried
2T Salt
1T Cinammon
1t Cumin

Place chicken in large bowl and generously coat in EVOO
Add rub and thoroughly mix to coat
Let marinate 1-24 hours
Grill

These would make for some fantastic chicken tacos!

Conecuh Salchicha a la parrilla

Arroz Mexicana
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/253258/arroz-mexicana-aka-mexican-rice

You can see the wonderful flavor packed goodness, just needs a good stir before serving.

Ensalada de Cilantro/Lima
Bagged slaw type mixed salad
Cilantro and lime dressing

Dump Cake
2 cans fruit pie filling of your choice
1 box Yellow cake mix
1.5 sticks of butter cut into pats

Grease a 9x17 glassware dish
Add fruit and level, cover evenly with cake mix (I used Apple and some freshly diced Pears)
Cover cake mix with butter pats
Add chopped nuts (optional) ( I used ground Pecans)

Into a preheated 375' oven, uncovered, until golden brown.

Money Shot

Last edited:
Really good stuff here. That link to the rice helps to Bc I've have been looking for traditional Mexican rice. The wife and I love messing with dump cake ingredients. Strawberry and rhubarb is one of the better fillings combo we've had at the house. W some ice cream on the side of course. Thanks for the walk thru again!

CR, Great post and good looking plate !
Thanks CM, really appreciate it.
Really good stuff here. That link to the rice helps to Bc I've have been looking for traditional Mexican rice. The wife and I love messing with dump cake ingredients. Strawberry and rhubarb is one of the better fillings combo we've had at the house. W some ice cream on the side of course. Thanks for the walk thru again!
Thanks M&H.

I can give you some more really nice Mexican rice ideas.

Arroz con vegatales de jardin: Same recipe, after cooking Mexican rice add 1/4C each of whole corn and two or three types of your favorite finely chopped vegetables, chiles, bell pepper, carrots, peas, celery or whatever.
The everyday home style version of this is just boxed yellow rice and frozen or canned mixed veggies.

Arroz Negro: After cooking whole frijole negros (black beans), drain and use the liquid to cook your rice in place of the chicken stock. No need for the tomato puree.
You get not only the color but all the flavors too.

Arroz Sofrito: Saute 1C minced onion, 1/2C each minced carrot and celery, you may add/substitute bell pepper or chiles.
Cook same as original recipe posted.

We experiment with our dump cake too.
We sometimes add cinnamon/sugar to the cake mix.
Like you, combining fruits is always fun, like I did with apples/pears, my favorite.
With apple filling I like to drizzle it heavily with honey and then dust with cinnamon, gives an ordinary canned filling a really nice richness.

Last edited:
Awesome CH. I like the sound of sofrito and i have no clue why I haven't been adding honey and cinnamon for a change up on the original apple dump. That has to be real good. Can't wait to try. Thanks!

Looks great as usual! I think you need a permanent slot in the carousel, that way it auto updates your newest cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky