Mexican Night, Cachete, Pollo, Arroz Negro, Frijoles Negro Charro and More

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mesquite smoked beef cheeks for tacos is the best. 5 people tried my tacos they love them. I've made it after I saw Chili's recipes. It's very easy everybody should try it. And his rice is awesome even though I modify it I substitute bell pepper for Hatch Chiles + Mexican Rotel. If you like Jamaican oxtail you can substitute oxtail for beef cheeks. And I'll add when preparing beef cheeks don't worry hundred percent about all the crap on it after it cooked the meat will fall right off all that crap. I'm glad Chili's not my neighbor I'll be knocking on his door 5 hours after I smell smoke.
Troy, you can come knocking but ya better have a side dish in your hands. ;)

Nice thing about most rice dishes is they are so versatile.
Try the rice with a cup of frozen mixed veggies and half the tomato puree for Mexican garden Style Rice.
Or do the rice with no tomato puree or onions and add in 1C each of Black beans, fresh Pico de gallo and some chopped cilantro for Confetti Rice.

Yes you can cook the cheeks untrimmed or lightly trimmed, but then you have to sort out the meat from all that crap, pour off a ton of fat and almost have to strain the fat out of the meat through coarse cheesecloth.
I'll continue to thoroughly clean and trim.

Oxtails are very popular in Mexican cooking too, lots of great recipes, e.g. Braised Ox-Tails in Mole.

I had to watch that video a few times over... that is unreal Chile. 3:15 AM and I'm wondering if I can find beef cheeks at Walmart...
I don't know if they do in your area, if not try to find a Latin/Mexican Carniceria.
Thanks for checking it out, so tender and rich it is unreal.
CR, Awesome ! You need to open a restaurant ! likes
Thanks CM... Pardon me for saying so, "But you're mad as a Hatter! A restaurant? BAH!"

At a loss of words on that meal Chile.... Huge like, Just looks amazing
Congrats on the carousel ride.

Yes you can cook the cheeks untrimmed or lightly trimmed, but then you have to sort out the meat from all that crap, pour off a ton of fat and almost have to strain the fat out of the meat through coarse cheesecloth.
I'll continue to thoroughly clean and trim.

Oxtails are very popular in Mexican cooking too, lots of great recipes, e.g. Braised Ox-Tails in Mole.

I am TOTALLY trying your beef cheek recipe ASAP! I LOVE LOVE LOVE beef cheek! There is a taco restaurant within walking distance of my home that sells beef cheek tacos.

The tacos they sell:
  • Cabeza (Head) Tacos
  • Labio (Lips) Tacos
  • Cachete (Cheek) Tacos
  • Asada (Steak) Tacos
https://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-el-negro-south-gate

As for the oxtail... another love of mine! When I find them with almost no fat and tons of meat, I dont care about the price. I must make them again soon and do a thread. I do a Jamaican Stewed Oxtail. I think you would appreciate it. No grilling or smoking on that dish. BUT that is the thing that makes this forum great... its not all about smoking and grilling.

Thank you HD, very kind in your assessment of the yardbird and the rest.
A lot of chicken thighs cross my grill, they're my kid's favorites and get done with love.
Amazing looking grub..........cooked with love. Ya can't go wrong with that, just like Grandma and Ma used to make.

Ha Ha, and this is why all threads here should be read only and never erased or deleted. Here I am almost 5 years later with 3 big bags of frozen Beef Cheeks given to me by someone who did not want to mess with them looking for ideas, and here is the answer. Thanks Chilerelleno for originally posting and thanks to Jeff for keeping this site up and going. Need to try some of that e other "stuff" too.

Just a quick update here, after three tries, one in my smoker, one in the oven, and last, I found for me, the most simple and easy way to cook beef cheeks is in a crock pot. This one works for me very well and is easy. Beef cheeks are full of marbled fat and almost impossible to trim raw.

First trim a minimal amount of the fat, which is plentiful and all through the cheek, almost impossible to get much of it off. Add a layer of sliced onions spread on the bottom of the pot with about 10 drops of liquid smoke, (sorry, sometimes it has to be used), add the fatty beef cheek and just a half cup of water to initially transfer the heat from the bottom of the pot. It will make a lot of its own juice to cook in quickly. 8-10 hours later it will get very soft and tender with the onion and smoke flavor. The major fat stuff will be melted in the juices or can easily be scraped from the delicious tender meat when done.

This is the only method I will use in the future. Good luck to you, it is a unique cut of meat with a distinct flavor. I plan to try one using a Rotel type mix also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky