Pig Skin wrapped flayed,stuffed (roulade style) loin...update 10/21

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
I think I've seem some entree wrapped in pig skin to help with the moistness...  I looked at braciole and not sure if that's what I was looking at... 

Any ideas for using it.....   I think it would be like using caul fat or something like that....    I have 3 hunks about 5 x 8 ......  Vac-Packed and frozen for now....

Dave

Last edited:
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
  I make pork rind pellets with my skin. Yummy!

Happy smoken.

David

The pig skin braciole are a fun way to use up some pig skin, but I'm guessing you might be thinking of porchetta? Porchetta is usually made with a boneless pork loin or shoulder that has skin-on pork belly wrapped around it and tied on, then the whole thing is roasted. The pork is often butterflied, pounded flat, seasoned and then rolled up into a roulade. It makes a dang impressive entree. Is this what you are thinking of, do you think?

I don't know if your pieces of skin are big enough or have enough fat on them for this, but sounds like fun to try! You'll find many recipes on the internet if you search on porchetta. Just be sure to score the skin before roasting, otherwise it will stay hard.

I'd love to see what you end up doing! Have a great Sunday!
Clarissa

Oh, another thought. For some reason I've had trouble in the past with getting cured + smoked pig skin to get soft when cooking; it seems to stay hard no matter how long I cook it. I don't know if it is the curing, the smoking, or what, but something about that process seems to fundamentally change the properties of the skin. The skin in your picture definitely hasn't been smoked, but I don't know if it is cured or not. Just something to keep in mind.

The skin is Au Natural.....    Bride has a 6" hunk of loin thawing in the refer now...   Going to butterfly it and add herbs etc.  wrap in hide and roast at 500 ish for about 45 min to an hour, then reduce the heat to 250 ish and an IT of 150 ish then rest....  I know, that's a little high but I don't like med-well pork...   Hopefully it will be moist with the pig skin covering it....  there is about 1/8" of fat left on the hide...  I'm not good at skinning a belly...  In this instance, that's a good thing....

I've had cured pig skin from my last belly I made bacon from....  I'm skinning them from now on.....    That stuff is tougher than Mike Tyson....  

If this porchetta turns out good, the next belly will be trimmed to make a bacon slab, then the rest will be "as is" and rolled intact and the trimmings made into chinese pork...   Talk about a universal hunk of meat...     Since my butcher gets me bellies for about $2.50, this may be the new thing to do for a treat... 

Last edited:
The skin is Au Natural.....    Bride has a 6" hunk of loin thawing in the refer now...   Going to butterfly it and add herbs etc.  wrap in hide and roast at 500 ish for about 45 min to an hour, then reduce the heat to 250 ish and an IT of 150 ish then rest....  I know, that's a little high but I don't like med-well pork...   Hopefully it will be moist with the pig skin covering it....  there is about 1/8" of fat left on the hide...  I'm not good at skinning a belly...  In this instance, that's a good thing....

I've had cured pig skin from my last belly I made bacon from....  I'm skinning them from now on.....    That stuff is tougher than Mike Tyson....  

If this porchetta turns out good, the next belly will be trimmed to make a bacon slab, then the rest will be "as is" and rolled intact and the trimmings made into chinese pork...   Talk about a universal hunk of meat...     Since my butcher gets me bellies for about $2.50, this may be the new thing to do for a treat... 

Sounds like an awesome plan! Porchetta makes a great dish....I'm really looking forward to hearing how it comes out for you!! :drool

Pork belly is a thing of beauty. Makes me all teary just thinking about it!

Have a great day!
Clarissa

Dave , would it be worth trying to wrap it around a fatty?

Tom
Tom, morning.....  I don't know...  I think the bacon is good, don't know if pig hide could improve on it...   I'll know in a day or so if it helps the loin...  I'm sure it will....  

Dave 

Sorry I am late I am not getting notifications,bit distracted by horrible bush fires here.I did a little mini course in pig butchery last week,butcher rolled& tied piece of neck in skin,worked a treat. Sort of thinking some dried fruit soaked in booze of your choice ,herbs then roll it.

I went the wrong direction on this. I was thinking use the skin. Now I have a big
110.gif

and I'll take a seat.
Clarissa Knows how to use from snout to tail.
I have a few skins in the freezer. I was going to make more pellets. Now I'm on hold!!!!!
Happy smoken.
David

Thank you for the kind words, David!! Pork rinds are an awesome way to use pig skin, but since DaveOmak mentioned "entree" it got me thinking along the other line.

I've got some pig skin sitting in my freezer too. I was planning to go back to your fantastic pork rind pellet post and make up some tasty snacks for sharing with the family at Thanksgiving!

Have a great night!
Clarissa

Here's something I've done for a little change for spaghetti and meatballs. I didn't say anything about heart healthy 
icon_eek.gif

PORK SKIN ROLLS

1 pork skins (rinsed and patted dry), approximately 8X9"

bread crumbs, seasoned

1 tablespoon Grated parmesan cheese

1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder

1 teaspoon dried parsley

1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)

salt and pepper to taste

After rinsing and drying the pork skin, lay it out on the countertop skin side down. Sprinkle the fat side with bread crumbs, grated cheese, granulated garlic or garlic powder, dried parsley, dried oregano (optional) and salt and pepper. Roll up whole pork skin, and tie with kitchen string every two inches. Slice the roll in between each string, and brown each roll in hot oil in a large stainless steel skillet on all sides (be careful they pop if it's too hot). Drop each browned pork skin into simmering sauce for several hours. Serve like you would meatballs.

It's very important to brown the pork skins before putting them into the simmering sauce, because if you don't, they will come out mushy.

Clarissa, it's your idea.... thanks....

This is  how I unroll a loin......

.....Leave about 3/4" meat slab....

...Leave about 1/3 thickness....

...continue around the corner...

...continue.....

....continue......

...and again......

..... VOILA ......

...Pig hide and poking hundreds of holes with

the tip of the knife........ (Bakers call this "docking" I believe)

Don't know why ??  One site said to do it.....

...The fat I left on the hide....  

...Bride using the micro plane for Onions and Garlic....

It's going into the Rosemary infused Olive Oil...

..Montreal Chicken Seasoning....

..Himalayan Pink Salt... Thanks Craig...

... Smeared inside the loin roll....

...I just noticed the red flakes....   

..A little Sambal was added also...

...Panko to hold the oil and herbs etc. in place....

...First Tie Up....... 

...Smear the outside and cover with poked pig skin....

...Hog tie the Hog Hide... 

... Oil the string and the hide so it don't catch on fire and burn....

Wrap in clear stuff and put in the refer until Bride says.....

More later........

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: s2k9k
Wow! Beautiful butterfly job on that pork loin!

I'm really looking forward to hearing how this comes out for you! Keep us posted!

P.S. Poking the holes through the skin helps the skin get tender and crisp up. Otherwise it gets hard and leathery when roasting it. That's the theory, anyway.

Wow! Beautiful butterfly job on that pork loin!

I'm really looking forward to hearing how this comes out for you! Keep us posted!

P.S. Poking the holes through the skin helps the skin get tender and crisp up. Otherwise it gets hard and leathery when roasting it. That's the theory, anyway.
It's in the oven..... Looking real good..... the skin is getting brown and crispy, I think, from looking at it...   There must be 400 knife point holes in the hide....   I didn't count but, jab, jab, jab, jab,etc ...  for about 3 minutes....  They said holes.......  I put holes and plenty of them...  I figure about every 1/4" or so..... 

Oh, BTW.... Bride made OX tail beef barley soup the other day and didn't let me know... Sooooooooo, no pics of that beautiful OX tail I got a couple weeks ago....   Need I say how the mouth feel, and really deep savory flavor the soup had....   I wish I could take a picture of the AWESOME flavor OX tail adds to soup....   Some know...... Others have no idea of what they are missing.....   
thumbsup.gif

Damn Ipad
devil.gif
. I like this idea a lot.Its clever butchery, cooking & no waste all in one.What we call neck or scotch fillet always comes without skin so putting the skin back over it makes perfect sense. The fact that you get to flavour it with all that good stuff then wrap it is just perfect.

There is a bit of style here where we stuff & roll belly,its probably derived from Italian porchetta . I can feel a version of babi guling ,Balinese roast pork, done with belly rolled around that very unique set of seasonings coming on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky