Pig Skin wrapped flayed,stuffed (roulade style) loin...update 10/21

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Holey Pig skin! That looks great Dave. Nice call on the panko bread crumbs too. My wife pan-fries a lot of eggplant and summer squash, and panko bread crumbs are her favorite to use. Hope it tasted as good as it looked!

Good morning all.......  Well, sorry for the delay....  I tried to put the pics on last night....  Funny thing happened on the way to the Forum....    Somehow, when I edited the pics and saved them, I saved them to some really obscure file....  Then I couldn't find them...   Well, I finally figured out how to "search by date" and here they are...  

The Panko did a good job of holding the spices in the "roll".... 

I really thought it would have been a winner...   Moist, not near enough flavor...  maybe it's the pig loin... I've tried several times to get a flavorful pig loin to the table....  Just ain't in my cards..   It should have been delish...   I guess I like BOLD flavors and this didn't bring it on for me....  I should have seasoned the cr@p out of it like you would a butt for pulling....  or used a heritage breed loin...  

If I do another loin, I will season inside and out like there's no tomorrow, stuff and wrap with bacon, cook to an IT of 205,   eat the bacon and the Panko and throw the loin away or give it to the dog....     See where this is going...  I'm not cooking another loin.. I've had it.... I don't know how to cook them...   I don't know how to get them to taste good...  

Well I tried...  best of luck to y'all....     Dave

No don't give up Dave! I was inspired by this thread. However if you say it wasn't savory enough, then I might try this: filet it open and flat first, then marinade it in cranberry juice and other spices overnight. (That should stain it pink and at least give it some color, plus the cranberry might give it some sweet tang.) Then finish prepping it the way you did. I got the idea when I saw your pic above of the side profile and thought that it could use some color. Hope to try it soon.

Great pictorial Dave!!! Love the way you cut that loin! It looks Awesome!!! :points:

Last edited:
I'm with you Dave. When someone asks me how do I cook a Pork Loin I tell them put it in a roaster. I've tried is so many different ways but never been moist enough. I just don't buy them any more. I'll stick to butts, ribs, & briskets!

Looks great to me...you can throw it my way!

Kat
Get out your baseball mitt....   here it comes.....    
No don't give up Dave! I was inspired by this thread. However if you say it wasn't savory enough, then I might try this: filet it open and flat first, then marinade it in cranberry juice and other spices overnight. (That should stain it pink and at least give it some color, plus the cranberry might give it some sweet tang.) Then finish prepping it the way you did. I got the idea when I saw your pic above of the side profile and thought that it could use some color. Hope to try it soon.
Dinger, morning...  Have at it...  When you get a great loin, post the recipe, and I will give it a go.... 
Great pictorial Dave!!! Love the way you cut that loin! It looks Awesome!!!
points.gif
Thanks..... that part went well....   

Dave

Its the cut not the cook.Do that with belly rolled & tied it will be great.I find loin a bit dry ,nice grilled fat ,skin on but I think its a bit bland.

I think you showed some great skills all round,you just have very high standards.

I am a big flavour guy also so I know what you mean.

Its the cut not the cook.Do that with belly rolled & tied it will be great.I find loin a bit dry ,nice grilled fat ,skin on but I think its a bit bland.

I think you showed some great skills all round,you just have very high standards.

I am a big flavour guy also so I know what you mean.
Thanks Mick....  I just kept trying with the loin because it's such a pretty piece of meat....   How's that go... can't make a silk purse out of a Roo's pouch...   Belly will be the next go-round...  If it don't have flavor, I don't eat it....  not much point.....  

Dave

Thanks Mick....  I just kept trying with the loin because it's such a pretty piece of meat....   How's that go... can't make a silk purse out of a Roo's pouch...   Belly will be the next go-round...  If it don't have flavor, I don't eat it....  not much point.....  

Dave

Hey Dave,

Sorry the project wasn't what you had hoped! But here is what I am wondering.....did the pork skin covering become crispy and edible, or was it tough and inedible? As Mick said, porchetta works great using a skin-on belly, I'm wondering how it worked just using the skin only with the 1/8" fat layer??

I think it is great that you are always up for trying new things! Thanks for giving this a shot and letting us all know how it came out!

Have a great night!
Clarissa

Others may have like it....  I have not really liked loin...  not much flavor...  Bland, so to speak...  I thought I could make it edible as far as I was concerned...    Oh well..... nothing ventured, nothing gained.....  Guess I don't have to buy loin again.... even when it's on sale....   That loin was $0.99 lb on a BOGO Free deal...    The skin was soft and chewable and edible..  I think the holes did it's job....  

Dave 

Man dave, I wish it would have turned out better for you.. I really enjoyed the prep and wrap and thought you put into this..

The cut is lean as we all know, lean = not much fat= lower flavor but there is a plus side,, Its a more healthy cut of meat ...  I have been busting my azz trying different things and recipes on loins all year... You don't have much to work with as they are more shall I say Delicate...  I was coming out on the dry low flavor side- then I started injecting and still a little low on the flavor side but more moist- then I added spices to my juices and flavor started picking up pretty good.. I usually use Orange Juice or Apple but I did try a Garlic water mix that came out decent... Inject them til they cant take no more and the marinade mix comes squirting out all over the place lol,, I use a lot of garlic, pepper , seas. salt onion powder and let them drown for 48 hrs , so basically you have to add the bold flavors that you like then I even add more as a rub when I cook em...  When you said you should have seasoned the cr@p out of it like a butt for pulling- Yep, you got it, add a marinade and pump that sucker full  ... I would like to say that juices with a high acid level seem to give me better tenderness and  moisture content and it don't matter what size the Loin is, older hog,  young pig ,momma sow..as long as they go 48 hrs and I don't over cook em, they been pretty good...

It really is a beautiful, but tricky cut to work with..

I was inspired by your try ,, ill give it 2 thumbs up for a dayum good effort...

Bark, morning and thanks for the thumbs up on the effort.....  Yeah, it was an effort...  Thinking back on it, with all the flavorful foods we prepare, learned on this forum I will add, I should have known to cram it full of seasonings like I do andouille, pork butt, brisket etc......   I do believe my taste buds have become accustomed to "smack you up side the head" flavor and I let my guard down when building that roast...   

See there....  I learned something ....   Failures are valuable learning experiences... Don't forget it.... and don't make the same mistake twice.....

We'll see about that last part........   

Dave

I loved the play by play and your knife skills on that loin during prep were over the top. 

I'm with Kat - send it over here! 

I love pork loin when it has big flavors - I butterflied one, stuffed with Italian Sausage and rubbed with a Porketta seasoning blend and it was good.

Might have to give it a go with the pork belly and see what happens.

Dave, im with ya.. I goofed up so bad last weekend I just sat and asked myself how it happened and I know Bud Light had a lot to do with it LOL... I know my smokes take time but in the process I still like to check on em here n there and the other night we were playing Spades and keeping the throat wet... I murdered some CB, it turned out to be a 14 day process for BBQ sammiches for the guys at work lol, I ate some to it was ok but not CB..I didn't post it but I still have the pix to remind me... ahhhhh the nightmares...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky