(PICTURES ADDED)7th Annual South Florida Gathering 2017 (Nov 17-19)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We're up for whatever group wants. Those are very interestig choices, Doug. All sound good. I've never had tongue and only lamb I've had is chops.

Starting to gather my ingredients. How many are camping Thursday night? Thinking about a pot of red beans and rice.

This from the Highlands Hammock park site - not sure how "breaking" it is, but is positive.

"Areas within the park that are now open to the public include the picnic area and the campgrounds. The Ranger Station is now receiving campers and honoring reservations. Visitors may access the picnic pavilions, the playground and visit the Civilian Conservation Corps Museum. Visitors are advised that the park is no longer under a boil water notice. As areas and facilities reopen, announcements will be posted as “Alerts” on the park website. Visitors may also check by calling the Ranger Station at (863) 386-6094 and pressing 0 to speak with a Ranger. CCC Museum hours of operation are limited depending on the availability of volunteer docents."

Not sure what time I will get there on Friday, but planning on making a gumbo if that has not been already spoken for.

Doug, defiantly not bringing my smoker. So ill throw the brisket in your smoker if you have room. Since I am doing a brisket for dinner on Saturday. I will not be planning on doing any ribs this year. So I will offer up my services as a judge or advisor if you want.

At this time I will have my sous vide cook chamber with me for the brisket. I am also working on making a cold smoker for cheese and other items like it that can be used during the summer in Florida. So if you want to bring some cheese along we can smoke it. We might even be able to pull off smoking some butter too.

We are slow and our menus have not required us to get the plastic containers. So I will only have a few with me to use at the event. After the event they can find a new home if needed.

I absolutely suck a remembering names. The member who came last year for the first time and sharpened most peoples knifes. Anyone remember his Member Name. I need to try and get ahold of him. I have something he might be interested in.

Jeremy,
I believe his name is Wayne, he goes by TripleQ

I had planned on doing the mailbox mod. cold smoker so I'll be interested in seeing your cold smoker.
Craig

I don't see much talk about side dishes on here so I did a little pre gathering shopping this weekend. My award winning competition version of Dutches Wicked Baked Beans will return to the menu this year after taking last year off. (Doug, I may need a spot in your smoker for this as I am only planning to bring a mini at this point)
Also planning to bring the steamer and some fresh corn on the cob. Still undecided on meats. May do overnight cook for lunchtime pulled pork again? Anyone know how many entries for ribs? Trying to decide if I want to play along or not.
Also will bring a "ladder toss" game, and some extra chairs as usual.

Looking forward to some Wicked Beans.... my wife maybe not.....
I was planning on doing a side or two. It really depends on if Charlyn goes or not on what I make. Want to make sure there are low carb options for her.

I do have my cornhole set I can bring or has that been covered.

Doug, do you still want me to bring my cromecast to hook up to your TV or are we giving it a pass? I would like to see the Miami game, but I can watch it on my tablet if needed.

I am sure it is covered, but to lazy to look. About how many people are we expecting for Friday night?

Hey guys I have 2 foodsavers for sale. They are v-3840 models. They both are in good condition & I have had a few people who wanted them, but the shipping is outrageous. If one of you is interested in buying them, I'll sell 1 for $75, or you can have both of them for $100. If 2 of you each want one, you can each have one for $50. I can bring them to the gathering.
index.php

Al

ok.. So I just ordered 18/20 mm sheep casings from Syracuse Casing ... will be my first time using sheep.. hopefully Rick (NEPAS) will be there when we stuff so he can give advice...

Rick.. will I need to do anything with them before hand (a soak)... You know the company and their product... they are pre-tubed

PS. The mini smokehouse is done .. just need to get some clay (terracotta) tile for the bottom and some latches for the door (this weekend) ... need to get it seasoned yet ...

ok then.... I am bringing my grinder and stuffer... will be making some snack sticks and breakfast sausage... I am bringing one whole Boston Butt to chip in towards these two things... I'm thinking maybe 3-4 whole butts total should be plenty... If anybody wants to bring more butts along with seasonings and casings to make sausages (Italian, Kielbasa, or whatever seasoning you want) to take some home your more than welcome to use the equipment .... I will be there to kinda guide ya along in making them ..

I am making a maple bourbon ham for friday night (as usual).. we will need some sides to go with it ... ... Charlotte will ether be making a ham and bean soup with left over ham (if any) on Sat. or a broccoli salad for Sat. evening... I believe she will be making some kinda dessert as well .. I will be doing the friendly rib comp too ... We are arriving on Thursday and staying until Monday

OK fellas I have one more item to sell. It's a Torrey Model ss-300 meat & cheese slicer.
It is huge, it has a 12" blade, sharpening stones, all stainless steel & aluminum.
It weighs 84 lbs. It's just too big for Judy & I to handle. I've only used it maybe 6 or 7 times.
I paid close to $1000 for it new. I will sell it for $400 if you can come to my house & pick it up.
I don't think it will fit in the trunk of my Mustang, and shipping cost would be a deal breaker.

IMG_4957.JPG

Let me know if anyone is interested!
Al

damn it Al.... my slicer is broke... and I've been wanting a 12" .. just can't swing it right now .. maybe it will still be available when I can...

I plan on red beans and rice for Thurs night, feeds a bunch. I have 10 lbs of wings for Sat night and will bring 3Lb bacon, sack of potatoes and 3 doz eggs for group breakfast. John will be entering ribs in competition as well. Will be trying out my new 17 in Blackstone griddle.

Howdy all! I think i've updated page 1 with the most recently food and activity updates, but let me know if i missed anything.

Cheese - I'll bring some cheese for the cold smokers. I did not receive any swag from Todd this year (so far) so if people can bring their A-Maze-N smokers for this project and/or pellets/dust, i'm out i believe of supplies. Need to order more.

Rib/Drink Comps - As of now I have Keith, John, Don(?), and myself for the Ribs. Am I missing anyone. Also who was going to compete in the cocktail drink competition? As of now I think only Kevin and I expressed interest. Thinking about having judging/tasting for this around 2pm?

Smokehouse - JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 i have some terra-cotta blocks in my backyard i can bring if you need them, i dont have much of a use for them

I'm planning on arriving Friday late morning or before noon at least. Thinking of doing the boil as a lunch snack once i get setup a bit. As of now it looks like anyone who is there on Thursday is on their own for food.

@tripleq Wayne we haven't heard from you buddy, are you planning on attending this year?

...MORE TO COME AS I THINK OF IT :)

I might show up friday sometime, for shur on sat. Solo for me as my wife has to work.

ok.. So I just ordered 18/20 mm sheep casings from Syracuse Casing ... will be my first time using sheep.. hopefully Rick (NEPAS) will be there when we stuff so he can give advice...

Rick.. will I need to do anything with them before hand (a soak)... You know the company and their product... they are pre-tubed

PS. The mini smokehouse is done .. just need to get some clay (terracotta) tile for the bottom and some latches for the door (this weekend) ... need to get it seasoned yet ...

You can soak an hour or so before stuffing, leave em on the tube.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky