Event (PICTURES ADDED) 11th Annual South Florida Gathering - December 2-4, 2022

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Everyone!
We've decided to host the 11th annual gathering the weekend of December 2-4, 2022 this year! The normal weekend in November that we usually booked has filled up.

The gathering will be at Highland Hammock State Park in Sebring, FL. Feel free to come, go and camp as much as you want. Our main day is Saturday the 3rd where we generally cook, eat, drink and play games all day! No planned meals on this day as we normally just cook and eat all day. Some people come the entire weekend and some just come for saturday. There are hotels that can be booked nearby as well.

We'll discuss having a friendly rib competition and other competitions that we've done in the past shortly. As always, check back to this post on Page 1 for updates, i'll be updating this post as details and campsites are booked.

If you book a site, please let us know where and i'll add that to here. If you look at the map on the booking site we generally around Site 80-83 and we'll have a gathering site where we set up tents for meals, games and much more

Attendees and Site
78 fxsales1959 fxsales1959
79 Discus39 Discus39
80 @floridasteve
81 dougmays dougmays
82 orlandosmoking orlandosmoking
83 orlandosmoking orlandosmoking
86 orlandosmoking orlandosmoking
87 orlandosmoking orlandosmoking
88 (Main Gathering Site) JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07
89 JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07

Activities
Snack Stick Making?
Cold Smoking Cheese?

Competition(s)
Friendly Rib Cook Off
  • No KCBS or FBA judging, no categories...just "favorite rib".
  • Judges might be internal (friends and family) or neighboring campers
  • Any Pork or Beef Rib will do
  • We'll set a turn-in time but we can be flexible
Cocktail Comp? We did this once in the past, just throwing the idea out there

Supplies needed
  • Paper Plates
  • Plasticware ( dougmays dougmays )
  • Napkins and/or paper towels
  • Vacuum sealers
  • Vac seal bags
  • ziplocks
  • Firewood (for nightly bonfire)
  • Extra Ice

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 10.39.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 10.39.46 AM.png
    36 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Looks like Judy & I will be stopping by Sat. Afternoon for a couple of hours to see some old friends & meet some new ones. If there is anything that we can bring, just ask.
Al
Glad y'all can come out Al! Looking forward to catching up!
I have 2 spare tables i will bring. Doug/Brad your welcome to use some space on my grill but I can't guarantee the outcome of your meat. Lol
We should be arriving around lunch time on Friday.
Brad will show you how to use that big old smoker ;) jk
Sssoòooo are we doing a cocktail comp????

My much better half will be with me and she needs something to do other than baby sit my dumb *ss!
Jeramy - I'm down! Not sure if anyone else was interested

Sausage/snack sticks?? Who's in? Or should we just chill and relax a little more this year? Keith has the equipment loaded up and ready I believe. I have a 9.5lb butt to throw in. If anybody wants to learn or just take some special treats home......

OK... game on then... Don's gonna pick up a few jalapenos ... Also have the capability of putting cheese in some if somebody wanted to pick up a few blocks of cheese as well... I usually use an 8oz block per five lbs of meat ... doesn't matter the flavor whatever you like ...

I have a ton of seasonings... A fresh pack of 19mm collagen casings for snack sticks... Some small and large natural sheep casings... And some 32-35 mm (I believe) Hog casings ... All pretubed ...

Since i'll be arriving around lunch time Friday, I wont be there in time to donate a butt or 2 for the snack sticks but i can venmo/paypal/cash someone. I'm down to get my hands dirty if the work is still going when i arrive.

You know we always end up running late making this stuff ... lol...

I have plenty of cheese i was going to cold smoke. There are alot of options to make things happen. I have vegetables and seasonings on hand to play with.

Still on track for early Saturday morning to introduce my breakfast brats.
Picked up a stack of plates at Costco today. Costco does mean large?
Got a box of XL nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight.
Will toss in a couple rolls of paper towels.
Doubting having a Jumbo Joe. Left my first one back in MN and Ace hasn't called on receiving the replacement.
I'll bring a couple rolls of vac bags
No room for much else in my auto

Y'all dont do anything today i wouldn't do ;) I got my email reminder for my reservation and i got all excited, now to just get through with this work day and get packed up for a early morning departure tomorrow!

Things of note that i'm bringing for the group:
- A-frame tent for gathering site
- 2 vacuum sealers and bags
- Box of gallon ziplocks
- plasticware

I'll give Don or Keith a call when i'm getting closer tomorrow and see if anything is needed from the store last minute.

Looking forward to seeing some old faces and meetings new (old) faces :emoji_laughing:

i'll be checking this throughout the day

Getting things together today so we are ready to go after the morning appointments.
We should be down in the middle to late afternoon.

Is there a meal plan for Friday night?

I figure breakfast is normal routine. I'll bring stuff to contribute.

I'll look to see if we have any extra tables to bring. Space might be limited since the plan is to bring the Jeep.

Doug, I plan to bring my smoker, so should be some room if you need it.

Keith, do you need anything for production, packing or storage?

I'll let my much better half know there is some game for the cocktail fun......

Getting things together today so we are ready to go after the morning appointments.
We should be down in the middle to late afternoon.

Is there a meal plan for Friday night?

I figure breakfast is normal routine. I'll bring stuff to contribute.

I'll look to see if we have any extra tables to bring. Space might be limited since the plan is to bring the Jeep.

Doug, I plan to bring my smoker, so should be some room if you need it.

Keith, do you need anything for production, packing or storage?

I'll let my much better half know there is some game for the cocktail fun......
I see the park loses at sunset. Does all shopping and gather have to be done or is there a gate code or similar?

jarjarchef jarjarchef - Normally Keith ( JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 ) does his famous Glazed Ham for Friday Dinner along with some sides and i believe someone else said they are making something Friday night. I'll think of something for a side as well.

fxsales1959 fxsales1959 - After all these years i should know how to answer your question but i've never come/gone at night. I believe they leave the gate opened, closing just means the gate attendants are gone so you cannot check in/out at dark. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. We definitely had people who up after "closing time"

jarjarchef jarjarchef - Normally Keith ( JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 ) does his famous Glazed Ham for Friday Dinner along with some sides and i believe someone else said they are making something Friday night. I'll think of something for a side as well.

fxsales1959 fxsales1959 - After all these years i should know how to answer your question but i've never come/gone at night. I believe they leave the gate opened, closing just means the gate attendants are gone so you cannot check in/out at dark. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. We definitely had people who up after "closing time"
Sounds like a plan. Side dish it is....

Usually the main gate is open, but access to camp grounds you need a code after the Rangers leave for the night.

The best half is working on her cocktail. She needs to defend her 🥇.

You all have fun. I will be waiting for lots of pics

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky