Pickled Beets ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So Foamy, what edition is your moms old Blue book ?

Someone was bound to get a story outta these. LOL.

When Mom was older, I bought this one I have for her, because I knew little about memories but I could see her Blue book she used so much was completely falling apart. Later when Mom pasted, she left me all her recipes and resource books. I found 4 Blue Books. I gave my sister the oldest one, the one in bits and pieces, one to my niece and nephew all of which had memories of Mom's cooking. Wouldn't that be a wonderful legacy?

I am pretty sure mine was the newest of the four, it doesn't have a revision number but it does have a copyright date where it changed publishers, mine is 1995. I know, not new, but the newest of the four and the one I bought her. I know my Mom was using her Blue Book as far back as 1950's and probably as far back as the 30's. I am guessing it might have been a graduation or wedding present, they did stuff like that. She gave me a cookbook when I graduated High School. Betty Crocker. I thought it silly at the time, but I sure wish I still had it, too many moves in life. I carried that cookbook all over the country.

Sorry for the long story, I get that way sometimes........

I am guessing 1995 is the answer.

My Mom gave us a Better Homes and Garden Cookbook as a wedding gift. In turn we have given them several times as wedding gifts, including our 3 girls.
Old editions of Blue Book are all over fleabay. I saw several from back in the early 60's, and that was just on the first page. I might have to get one or two.

I think they pull your Union Card if you are Polish and don't eat Beets. We had one or all of these, in the refer, the whole time growing up. We had , Red Beets Eggs, Pickled Red Beets with Onion, Hot and Cold Borscht, Roasted Beets and Root Vegetables, diced Red Beets in Salad and my fav to this day, Harvard Beets. Chunks or small whole Beets in a thick Sweet and Sour Sauce. I eat them as a Snack, as a Side Veg, in a Salad, Hot or Cold, in a House, with a Mouse. I'll eat them Here or There, I'll eat them Anywhere!...JJ

My Mom gave us a Better Homes and Garden Cookbook as a wedding gift. In turn we have given them several times as wedding gifts, including our 3 girls.
Old editions of Blue Book are all over fleabay. I saw several from back in the early 60's, and that was just on the first page. I might have to get one or two.

LOL.... I just checked, Mom's cook book she learned with, I imagine came at her wedding. I have heard Pop joking about teaching her to cut up a chicken and the soupy pecan pies. You'd have thought all those years later he'd have known better..>LOL

Her's was "The Good Housekeeping Cook Book", Completely revised 7th edition.

Wow, I see that Amazon has hardcover first edition for just 10.00.

I realize you are in the north and probably never had pinto beans w/ chow-chow or Piccalilli, or some sweet corn relish but now you have the book its whatever you'd like to try. There is some outstanding recipes as well as excellent easy to understand instructions. You'll be proud you got it.

And you are correct! Pinto beans I've had in various dishes. I had to google chow-chow and piccalilli. Looks like I'll be trying some new things soon.

And you are correct! Pinto beans I've had in various dishes. I had to google chow-chow and piccalilli. Looks like I'll be trying some new things soon.

I think every region has its own version. CHOW-CHOW and Piccalilli are standard fair, especially during the Winter when fresh vegetables was limited or nonexistent. I spent several years in the Amish area of central PA. There are several Family Style Restaurants. Long tables seat 20. Families, couples and singles are seated together and the meal is laid out in big bowls and platters. Meats include Country Ham, Smoked Sausage, Fried Chicken, Roast Beef or Turkey, depending on season. My favorite, Chicken Pot Pie, aka Bot Boi, is a chicken Stew with thick, belly bomb, egg pasta squares, about 3" square! The typical sides are Green Beans, Mashed Taters, Stewed Dry Sweet Corn ( John Cope's Brand is available in some Stores and Online) and the point of this story,
" 15 Sweet and/or Sour Relishes and Preserved Fruits, Vegetables and Desserts."
They vary buy restaurant but staples include, Amish Chow-chow, a mix of assorted Beans, Corn, Cauliflower, Cabbage and whatever else was available. Other dishes included Pickled Beets, Pickled Eggs, Sauerkraut, Sweet Pickled Cucumber Chips and Relish, Sour Pickles, Apple Butter, Stewed Apples, Stewed Prunes and others. MUST HAVE Sweets included, Shoo-Fly Pie, Rice Pudding with Raisins, Chocolate Pudding, Apple or Peach Pie (seasonal), a Cake Donut made with mashed Potatoes, and Fasnacht, a Yeast Donut. Some places had Apple Dumplings, a baked Apple wrapped in Pie Dough and WHOOPI PIES.
The best of Family Style Restaurants were around in the 50's, 60's and 70's, when travelers through the small towns and Amish Farms could get the best food coming out of the kitchen staffed by several older women in hand made dresses and bonnets. These days with much of the Amish farms being sold off to Outlet mega shopping centers. The couple of remaining Family Style Restaurants are for the bus loads of Tourists that come to the area. The operationsalt have more of the food coming out of commercially packed cans, jars and plastic pouches from Sysco, than from Put Up Mason or Bell Jars and Ceramic Crocks brought up from the Root Cellar...JJ

Wow, thanks for the interesting read! Where I live in upstate NY we do have interaction with the Amish. Very proud and hard working folk. They did the steel roof on both my house and garage last year. And the work was perfect. I travel through PA often. But not much off the beaten trial to get where I'm heading to. Usually straight through on 80. Or 78 through Harrisburg. We've gone to Penn's Cave before. Unique place, really enjoyed it. And we went to the Strasburg Rail museum in Lancaster. Strange that we've really haven't done much else in this state. PC Farmer gave me a jar of Apple Butter which I've heard of. But never had. It was fantastic. That was from Way Fruit Farm at Port Matilda. I'm going to look up the other things you mentioned and see if I can either buy them. Or make them. Thanks again for the info.

Steve, Good 'n Plenty Family Style is on Rt 896 just North of Rte 30 and 10-15 minutes north of Strasburg Railroad, a most excellent Train Museum!!! You were very close.
Another, not too far away was Plain 'n Fancy. It is now a huge BBQ joint called Smokehouse BBQ and Brews. Not been there since the switch to Q...JJ

A suggestion, locate your local farmers market. They know all about most of the foods you'll be familiar with locally. Plus ones you've never heard off. Figure out a couple you would enjoy trying to make, also ask the farmers in the market about availabilities. No sense trying to make pepper sauce if you don't have the environment to have a long enough growing spans, or green tomatoes for pickles at the end of the season.

Speaking of green tomato pickles, add them to the top of your list also. OMG best stuff ever with BBQ or smoked foods. Use your common sense, one year we got a HUGE hail storm just as the tomatoes started to come in. It was a bumper crop of green tomato pickles year!! What a great year.

Remember what I mentioned, don't over do it like we all do. Do one batch. And remember most things that are "put up" are just that, because the longer they set up the better they get. If processed properly, heck I have enjoyed 50 year old pickles! AND just because you do 'em twice the same way, it won't get the same pickle results.

You might also join the canning channel on FB. They are always safe, And they all have Blue Books+. These ladies know their stuff.

Its a load of fun especially if you have helpers (and a good dish washer LOL).

She gave me a cookbook when I graduated High School. Betty Crocker. I thought it silly at the time, but I sure wish I still had it, too many moves in life. I carried that cookbook all over the country.

Sorry for the long story, I get that way sometimes........

I am guessing 1995 is the answer.
Foam- I have that cookbook. Use it often. Hollar if you need me to look up a recipe for you....

X2 on the pickled green tomatoes! I make chow chow relish with the last of the green tomatoes on the vine, along with some of the bell peppers and a handful of jalapenos. As foam says-GREAT with smoked foods! Awesome on a bud with a link of smoke sausage or a brat. I like it with pulled pork on a bun too.

I also enjoy making hot sauces...just can't let them ferment too long in the hot and humid south or it'll get bitter. I find 3 days tops is about right....just as the bubbles slow down a little....

Those look great

My wife likes em, her being Amish and all...lol

The end result! I gotta tell you its a happy happy day at my house....

Amish eggs, beet pickle eggs, beet pickles and little pearl cocktail onions!

Just need a cowboy cool beer........ better open the windows and turn on some fans! My eyes are watering now!

IMG_9709.JPG

Reactions: Steve H
Oh wow! They look good! How long did you let the beet eggs sit to get that much penetration into the egg?

Oh wow! They look good! How long did you let the beet eggs sit to get that much penetration into the egg?

Well I made them April 15, when I posted this thread. 10 days. The Amish eggs maybe a month? Not much penetration there. But you know the law says, "any penetration no matter how slight!" Wait wait wait... that's about something completely different.

Well I made them April 15, when I posted this thread. 10 days. The Amish eggs maybe a month? Not much penetration there. But you know the law says, "any penetration no matter how slight!" Wait wait wait... that's about something completely different.

HaHa! That is true! 10 days and the beet color traveled that far is pretty darn good. Did you vac seal them?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky