1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pickled Beets ~ Foamheart

Discussion in 'Side Items' started by foamheart, Apr 15, 2019.

1. foamheart

foamheart Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yesterday a friend brought me 6 bunches of perfectly uniform sized beets. They were even cleaned, beets without dirty how novel!

So I made pickle beets. I wouldn't eat a beet on a dare but pickled beets is a whole different story. I'll fight you for them.

I used Mom's Blue Book which is what she used to make them. Oddly enough the book has been republished nearly evey year since her mother's mother used it. I have two or three editions myself. So I grab one.

The syrup didn't seem right so I cruised the WWW and checked the Bell/Kerr recipes. Nope didn't ring true either.

I finally pulled out my Mom's old blue, blue book (I know novel huh?).

It seems that every new publish it changed. So I now know when someone recomends a recipe or I do to another you need to get the right also.

Eight pint jars of pickled beets (a gallon, I figured that out with a pencil or paper!). AND a quart and 2 pints of boiled pickled eggs. Just in time for Easter.

IMG_9691.JPG

IMG_9693.JPG

Now I need make some more of those amish pickled eggs and I'll be ready for deviled eggs for Easter.

BTW beet juice suxor! LOL

2. kenzmad22

kenzmad22 Newbie

OMG! I love eggs picled in beet juice! For those of us without moms book, can you post the recipe?

3. foamheart

Sure, but I highly recommend you get a "Ball Blue Book". It and Betty Crocker will always save your butt.

Yields approx. 3 qts.

3 Qts. - Beets cleaned, cooked and skinned. (About 24 small)
    2 C - Sugar
    2 - Cinnamon Sticks
    1 Tbsp - Whole All spice
    1 1/2 tsp. Salt
    3 1/2 C - Vinegar
    1 1/2 C - water

Add all the spices water and vinegar and boil 10 mins.

Hot pack the jars, Stir gently to get out air bubbles, then add syrup to 1/2" from top.

Then add lids and water bath for 30 mins.

Notes, make sure your beets are done, no one wants hard pickles. Also I add a jar cocktail onions divided in the jars.

4. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks for posting Foamy didn't see this before I requested the recipe on the other posting. Looks somewhat like the recipe we have.

Warren

5. foamheart

I can't suggest enough, the Ball Blue Books are not expensive. And since I have now publicly given it my stamp of approval they'll fly off the shelves and never reprint again.

Everything from Pickled peppers to fruit roll ups. 75% of all Mom's pickle recipes all come from it.

I can't post a link to where to buy them while they last? That doesn't help others very well.

6. Misplaced Nebraskan

Misplaced Nebraskan Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Thanks @foamheart ! Love me some pickled beats! and many other pickled things! I really need to venture into this world of DIY. Thanks for the info on the Blue Book :emoji_thumbsup:

7. cooker613

cooker613 Smoking Fanatic

My Bubbie used to make pickled beets (russel in Yiddish) and turn them into a cold borscht for Passover. Unfortunatly, my family are all beet haters.

8. foamheart

Its 10.00 at Amazon, I think its called Preserving there now. But it also calls it "Ball Blue Books" Its well worth the money. And don't try and do like Mom did. I do 6 or 8 pints at a time, Mom would do 40 or 50 quarts. Thats too much, ts exhausting work.

9. foamheart

I HATE few things but beets and turnips immediately come to mind.... LOL Beet pickles only start off as beets, they are not beets when ya eat them.

10. Misplaced Nebraskan

Misplaced Nebraskan Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Found this one here.

11. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Just ordered one. Never heard of this book before. I bought the 37th edition. For 10.00 I'll give it a try. Thanks for the heads up. I love pickled eggs in beet juice. Haven't tried pickled beets though. Might try it.

12. HalfSmoked

Just the eggs without a yoke Steve. :emoji_laughing:

Warren

13. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

LOL!

14. Hawging It

Hawging It Master of the Pit

My Granny and mother were from Ferriday, Louisiana. Birthplace of the Killer, Jerry Lee Lewis. As a small child, I remember going to Granny's in the summer and spending 3 weeks with her. She had a water well and outhouse. No plumbing. The house was huge and a breeze always drifted through the house. She always had pickled beets and pickled olives on the counter. I was hooked on both before I was 6 years old and still eat them on regular basis to this day. Great memories!!!

foamheart likes this.
  15. tropics

tropics Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Kevin recipe looks close to mine,thanks for sharing.Should be able to start some beets growing in a few weeks.LIKES Brother
    Richie

16. HalfSmoked

Just planted mind last Thursday Richie. Big difference being a little farther north huh.

Warren

17. foamheart

I realize you are in the north and probably never had pinto beans w/ chow-chow or Piccalilli, or some sweet corn relish but now you have the book its whatever you'd like to try. There is some outstanding recipes as well as excellent easy to understand instructions. You'll be proud you got it.

18. mosparky

mosparky Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

So Foamy, what edition is your moms old Blue book ?

19. foamheart

Its strange how smells and tastes link us with the past. I am glad you got a happy thought.

20. foamheart

Thanks Richie! Oh and good luck on those beets.
    Yes there is>>> LOL.........