PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great post. I never put much faith in Pull Back as a key to doneness. I go for probe tender but never paid attention to IT. I will have to see what the temp is next run...JJ

I received my new thermapen and tried this method.In between every rib it had a different temperature.It just seemed very hard to measure. The only thing I can think of is that my ribs just didn't have enough meat on them to measure properly...

Great post. I never put much faith in Pull Back as a key to doneness. I go for probe tender but never paid attention to IT. I will have to see what the temp is next run...JJ
Thanks JJ, That's how I figured out we like 195. I started measuring the IT on every rack. When I got it right it was 195.

Al
I received my new thermapen and tried this method.In between every rib it had a different temperature.It just seemed very hard to measure. The only thing I can think of is that my ribs just didn't have enough meat on them to measure properly...
That happens to me too, I take the thickest part of the rack & measure in between those ribs. Just like you would put your probe in the thickest part of a roast.

Al

Thanks for the reply again.

Makes sense. I would love to be able to measure IT that way I can make them more consistent. I got disappointed when it didn't seem to work out. Like the IT temp wasn't making any sense, even when I measured in between the same ribs. The temp was all over the place. I guess I will try again soon.

Thanks for the reply again.

Makes sense. I would love to be able to measure IT that way I can make them more consistent. I got disappointed when it didn't seem to work out. Like the IT temp wasn't making any sense, even when I measured in between the same ribs. The temp was all over the place. I guess I will try again soon.
 Good luck & let me know how it works for you.

Al

Your killin it with the RIBS Al.

NICE!

Looks-Great.gif

I've always cooked by IT, guess I get lucky as I just use a probe for my iGrill in the meatiest part of the ribs I can find and leave it in for the smoke. Normally I pull them around 170deg. Yesterday I was going to do the 3-2-1 so we could have the fall off the bone that my son likes, as it was for his birthday party.

Well, I came down with the flu, and we decided the less I handled the food, the better, so I didn't wrap them! It was getting close to time to pull them, but I had a date with the porcelain god and didn't get to them as soon as I'd have liked! Ended up pulling them around 186deg. They just all but fell apart! Everyone was happy, not quite fall off the bone, just a little pull, but the bone cleaned right up easily.

I can attest, this does work and I will be changing my cooking habits to reflect this in the future. It's a nice happy medium for all everyone! Good info and glad I'm not the only one that found this out.

Great looking ribs!! Nice job!! [emoji]127867[/emoji][emoji]128079[/emoji][emoji]127867[/emoji][emoji]128079[/emoji]
  Thank-you my friend!!

Al

Your killin it with the RIBS Al.

NICE!

Looks-Great.gif
Thanks Buddy!!

Al

Wow, looks amazing. A must try for sure. Do you use the water pan?
Thank-you, Yes I use the water pan, but I have a layer of lava rock in the bottom and then water on top.

Al

I've always cooked by IT, guess I get lucky as I just use a probe for my iGrill in the meatiest part of the ribs I can find and leave it in for the smoke. Normally I pull them around 170deg. Yesterday I was going to do the 3-2-1 so we could have the fall off the bone that my son likes, as it was for his birthday party.

Well, I came down with the flu, and we decided the less I handled the food, the better, so I didn't wrap them! It was getting close to time to pull them, but I had a date with the porcelain god and didn't get to them as soon as I'd have liked! Ended up pulling them around 186deg. They just all but fell apart! Everyone was happy, not quite fall off the bone, just a little pull, but the bone cleaned right up easily.

I can attest, this does work and I will be changing my cooking habits to reflect this in the future. It's a nice happy medium for all everyone! Good info and glad I'm not the only one that found this out.
Thanks, I'm glad this worked for you.

Al

Great looking ribs Al and good information 
points.gif

Will keep this in mind for the next ribs.
Thank you my friend, and thanks for the points!!

Al

So I tried 2 slabs of BBs again. When I checked the IT after the first two hours every made sense. Then after another 2 hours of being wrapped I check the IT again. Rib 1 was at 195, rib 2 was at 170F. Rib 1, I put back on unwrapped and rib 2, I put back on in foil agin. After 30 min I checked both ribs IT and both IT were lower than my last measurement before this one. Makes no sense. I am using a thermapen....

Are you using an electric smoker?

Did the smoker temp stay up where it was after you put them back in?

If you leave the door open very long on some smokers they take a long time to recover, especially electric smokers.

Most of the time BB's will take at least 4 hours to get in the 185-190 range.

What was the IT at 2 hours? I'm guessing 130-150.

I like to give them at least 3 hours of smoke before opening the door & checking them.

If the final temp is not where it should be, then they need to cook longer.

Hope you don't give up on this method.

Al

Wow! That is a little strange could it be a bad temp pen? Not all are created equal. I don't eat to say you stuck it wrong but could it be a possibility? It's for sure that Domingo isn't right.

Are you using an electric smoker?

Did the smoker temp stay up where it was after you put them back in?

If you leave the door open very long on some smokers they take a long time to recover, especially electric smokers.

Most of the time BB's will take at least 4 hours to get in the 185-190 range.

What was the IT at 2 hours? I'm guessing 130-150.

I like to give them at least 3 hours of smoke before opening the door & checking them.

If the final temp is not where it should be, then they need to cook longer.

Hope you don't give up on this method.

Al
I use an offset smoker. The smoker dropped temp when I put them back in yes. Took me a little bit to get the temp back up. Because I read that most people do their BB's 2-2-1 I wanted to try that too. But I guess I should try 3-2 and then either grill them of leave them in the smoker unwrapped for a bit.

I will check IT next time a little closer and will just leave them in until it reaches the right IT.

I won't give up. Thanks Al!
Wow! That is a little strange could it be a bad temp pen? Not all are created equal. I don't eat to say you stuck it wrong but could it be a possibility? It's for sure that Domingo isn't right.
 I guess it could be. I think it's strange too. I check at a ton of different locations to make sure I wasn't sticking it in a wrong place. I will check my pen with boiling water this afternoon just to make sure.

Sorry, I don't understand the Domingo reference...?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky