Pepperoni (cured, smoked, and Qviewed)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
OK guys, I had to try to smoke my own Pepperoni.

Found a recipe in "Morton's Home Meat Curing Guide" for All Beef Pepperoni, but I made a couple changes.

This stuff is Awesome, and NOT greasy!

Here it is, "Tutorial Style" (This is also for my convenience for all of the "Next Times").

Here are the contents:

3 LBS ground beef (80/20)

4 1/2 level tsp of Tender Quick

1 3/4 tsp of Black Pepper

1 tsp of Mustard Seed

1 tsp of Fennel Seed (slightly crushed)

1 tsp of Crushed Red Pepper

1/2 tsp of Anise Seed

1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder

1/2 tsp of Italian Seasoning

Mix all ingredients real, real good, and roll into two or three 2" diameter logs. Wrap these in plastic wrap, and put in fridge over night (36˚ to 40˚).

Smoking

Next day, preheat smoker to 120˚.

Put meat logs in smoker without smoke for one hour, or until dried & tacky on outside.

Start smoke ( I used the "A-MAZER-N-SMOKER" for this, and I lit both ends for a good amount of smoke).

After one more hour, bump up to 130˚.

After another hour, bump up to 140˚.

After another hour, bump up to 150˚.

After 3 1/2 hours of smoke, the smoke stopped, and I bumped it up to 170˚.

After two more hours, bump it up to 185˚, until the internal temperature of the Pepperoni Logs are all above 160˚.

Total time in smoker (with & without smoke) was 7 1/2 hours.

Remove from smoker & cool in ice water for 10 or 15 minutes (down to 100˚ or 110˚).

Wipe off with paper towels, wrap with plastic wrap, and put in fridge over night.

Next day slice all very thin, vacuum pack, mark, and freeze.

Spices:

302ae1cb_DSC01174.jpg

Beef, TQ, and spices mixed, rolled & wrapped, and ready for over night in fridge:

f66143b3_DSC01176.jpg

Fresh out of smoker:

350bfcb4_DSC01177.jpg

Taste testing before going in fridge to cool  (MMMMmmmm):

258a43fd_DSC01180.jpg

Sliced very thin:

33449040_DSC01182.jpg

Close up of slices:

1a279ef3_DSC01184.jpg

Packed, marked, and ready for freezer

0bb70646_DSC01187.jpg

Thanks for lookin',

Bearcarver

I have 10 LBS of pepperoni in the fridge now. Just waiting for its turn in the smoker. I have 10LBS of cheddar kielbasa smoking now. Hope it turns out good. Nice looking pics of your pepperoni.

That looks mighty good and it seems to be easy to make. I will have to try that soon.
Thank You,

It really was easy, once I found a recipe with Tender Quick, instead of all the other cures. I like using TQ, but I hate having to convert everything I cure, because most of the recipes are with other cures. Nothing wrong with the other cures, I just don't like to switch from a winner.

Try it, you'll love it,

Bearcarver

cool.gif

Now this is one of the sausages that I want to make but I wonder if you can stuff it into sausage casings. Yours look great and is it really tender since it isn't packed tight like it is the ones you buy at the store. You use just hamburger/ ground meat to make it too.??

cool.gif

Now this is one of the sausages that I want to make but I wonder if you can stuff it into sausage casings. Yours look great and is it really tender since it isn't packed tight like it is the ones you buy at the store. You use just hamburger/ ground meat to make it too.??
Yup, just plain old 80-20 ground beef.
I guess you could stuff it into casings, but I would much rather have sausage & meat sticks without any kind of skins, if possible. I think I might try this same thing, only thinner for some snack sticks. Maybe even try one of those cannons.

Do any of the cannons have a tip that will make the meat stick thicker than 1/2"?-----Maybe about 3/4" thick??? 

Bearcarver

You  can use your stuffer without casings and push out lengths of product the thickness of the stuffing tube onto cookie sheets; just move the cookie sheet as it comes out. I've made skinless breakfast sausages that way before.  I put the cookie sheets in the freezer to set up the product then cut and package.

Pops §§

Yup, just plain old 80-20 ground beef.
I guess you could stuff it into casings, but I would much rather have sausage & meat sticks without any kind of skins, if possible. I think I might try this same thing, only thinner for some snack sticks. Maybe even try one of those cannons.

Do any of the cannons have a tip that will make the meat stick thicker than 1/2"?-----Maybe about 3/4" thick??? 

Bearcarver

You  can use your stuffer without casings and push out lengths of product the thickness of the stuffing tube onto cookie sheets; just move the cookie sheet as it comes out. I've made skinless breakfast sausages that way before.  I put the cookie sheets in the freezer to set up the product then cut and package.

Pops §§

Hmmm, Thanks Pops,

I don't have a stuffer---Just a grinder. Maybe it would be a better idea to get a 5 LB stuffer than a jerky cannon??? I think I saw some at around $100----5 pounder. Are those any good? I think they have a plastic part I heard people complain about.

Bearcarver

Could you use 19mm casings and make these into snake stix?

Just laid out 3# of beef to get into the fridge tonight

Post pics tomorrow

Man I love this site

Thanks

Could you use 19mm casings and make these into snake stix?

Just laid out 3# of beef to get into the fridge tonight

Post pics tomorrow

Man I love this site

Thanks
Sorry I just saw this Cowboy:

Sure you can do that. I only make them unstuffed to get more smoke into the meat.

Bear

Wow, I know I'm late to the party but I had to revive this thread. I ran across it while searching for beef bacon. Back in my twenties my mom used to make a summer sausage like this in the oven using venison and liquid smoke. I loved it and have often thought about making some in the smoker. Without the liquid smoke of course. Time to fire up the MES and AMNPS. Thank you Bear for reviving a pleasant memory.

I just saw this too, and after seeing the wonderful goodies that Bear turns out with TQ, I guess it is time to try some.  I do have cure #1, but have not had a chance to use it.  I need to get some sausage supplies like a grinder and stuffer.  I will try both methods, and see what workes best for me.  Perhaps the TQ will be the one.  Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky