JCam is my new Hero!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Coach JoeQB

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 21, 2023
Ok, so I followed JCam's brat recipe. The test piece was totally the best brat ever. I left out the caraway(my family isn't a fan).

1 Tbsp Sugar
3 Tbsp Salt
(if you wish to smoke these, add 1 tsp cure #1)
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Caraway seed, ground is better
1 tsp Coriander

These next ingredients set German Brats apart from
other sausage's flavor profile, and texture:

1 tsp Cardamom
2 drops lemon extract or 2 tsp zest
1 tsp Nutmeg or Mace
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream

Really a great recipe!

Joe

It was all pork.

I made 3 batches, Cheese and parsley, bratwurst, and Guinness and cheddar. The last one has cure because it will be smoked. The first will be in lamb casings. The next two in hog casings.

Joe

Reactions: JLeonard
So, I am a huge fan of lemon zest, but never thought of it in bratwurst. It just added a nice pop in flavor. It's subtle and brings out the other spices.
Sue isn't really a bratwurst fan. She really liked the test patty.

Joe

20231211_120301.jpg
20231211_120301.jpg

Attachments

• 20231211_120708.jpg
    20231211_120708.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231211_130039.jpg
    20231211_130039.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 16
Jim
It's funny Sue normally says to give most away, she warned me don't you give any sausage away this year. The bacon is for gifts.

Joe

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
So, I am a huge fan of lemon zest, but never thought of it in bratwurst. It just added a nice pop in flavor. It's subtle and brings out the other spices.
Sue isn't really a bratwurst fan. She really liked the test patty.

Joe
Credit Polka Polka on this it's his awesome recipe. I have a friend who's wife swore she didn't like bratwurst but she loves this.

Reactions: Coach JoeQB
20231212_114700.jpg
Bacon cured and drying, racks are under. Using the parchment paper is there genius..

Joe

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky