Pancetta finished

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roller

Smoking Guru
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 10, 2010
N.E. Louisiana
Reactions: smokeysooner
Beautiful! Time for a Big Pan of Classic Fettuccine Carbonara...JJ

Hi Roller,

I love your pancetta...no cured meat is prettier than a rolled pancetta IMHO.  Sorry I missed your earlier thread.  I'll go back and look at it to see curing specifics.

A question for you. I've been terrified of making rolled pancetta because I was concerned I wouldn't get it rolled tight enough and would leave air pockets. I've made flat pancetta a few times to get around that concern.  I noticed that you have some air pockets in your pancetta and was wondering if they caused you any problem at all?  Did anything grow inside the pockets? 

Thanks for any help, and great curing job!!  Looks beautiful!

Clarissa

Hi Roller,

I love your pancetta...no cured meat is prettier than a rolled pancetta IMHO.  Sorry I missed your earlier thread.  I'll go back and look at it to see curing specifics.

A question for you. I've been terrified of making rolled pancetta because I was concerned I wouldn't get it rolled tight enough and would leave air pockets. I've made flat pancetta a few times to get around that concern.  I noticed that you have some air pockets in your pancetta and was wondering if they caused you any problem at all?  Did anything grow inside the pockets? 

Thanks for any help, and great curing job!!  Looks beautiful!

Clarissa
SG yes there was a hole in the middle of it but it went all the way through it. The process that I used calls for a vaccum seal on the Dry Bag which takes all the air out so the bacteria can`t grow. It was not a air pocket...

SG yes there was a hole in the middle of it but it went all the way through it. The process that I used calls for a vaccum seal on the Dry Bag which takes all the air out so the bacteria can`t grow. It was not a air pocket...
Ah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for the explanation!

Clarissa

Roller, the pancetta looks awesome!  I need to learn how to make that because it's about impossible to find around here!
Beautiful! Time for a Big Pan of Classic Fettuccine Carbonara...JJ
JJ, love the recipe.  I typically only use the yolks...do you find that using the entire egg lends more substance to the dish?

Bill

Very nice looking!!  I was just looking at the DryBag method on the website and wondered how well it worked. Thanks for posting your results.

Thanks guys and gals.. I have no connection with the Dry Bag process. I just find that it is a way that I can Dry Cure without a Chamber build and it sure works for me..

Roller, the pancetta looks awesome!  I need to learn how to make that because it's about impossible to find around here!

JJ, love the recipe.  I typically only use the yolks...do you find that using the entire egg lends more substance to the dish?

Bill
Bill, using whole eggs saves you from wasting the Whites. It does add dietary protein but the only problem is the sauce maybe slightly less Creamy than Yolks only. If you try to heat it to tighten it up, do so over low heat stirring constantly and quickly as a second too long and you go from Creamy Sauce to Scrambled Eggs. The flavor is still great but it loses the luxurious mouth feel. If using Yolks only double the number of eggs used to make up the volume of the whites...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky