our cold smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
terry the temp controller is screwed to the side of the smoker the probe for controlling the temp comes in through the hole behind the top rack i have it stuck to the back of the smoker the fan idea i have been thinking of doing this but not sure where to put it i think just a small fan should do the trick i was wondering if the fan blows the ashes around and on the food

cajun thats a good looking smoker i have been thinking of making another fridge smoker and using it as a hot smoker using the afterburner gas burner for that project i kinda like the old fridge smokers
huey

terry the temp controller is screwed to the side of the smoker the probe for controlling the temp comes in through the hole behind the top rack i have it stuck to the back of the smoker the fan idea i have been thinking of doing this but not sure where to put it i think just a small fan should do the trick i was wondering if the fan blows the ashes around and on the food

Hey Huey, I put the fan on the top of the stack, sucking the air through the smoker,(yea, I used duct tape to seal it up for good suction
tongue.gif
) so it was a very gentle air flow, doesn't stir anything up, just keeps a good air circulation going. Your right, it don't take a big fan.
smile.gif

Hey Gypsy, I don't even want to "see" a picture of you in your socks.
icon_eek.gif
(you ain't near as purty as you think you are) haha, I didn't think you ran a cold smoker? I figured you were in a climate that didn't work for that. Shows what I know.
icon_redface.gif

hence the socks & january lol - i did do a great(well a large) cook last superbowl sunday @ 18f w/ sweats & a t-shirt & 4" of snow....no wind so it felt warm...not like minnesota or montana.... or pt. barrow freakin' alaska.

Salmon and/or LOX qre a couple of big reasons to cold smoke. some like to do various fruits. for example I have done plumbs and they are great. So are bananas.

I haven't had a cold smoker for years and am just starting to get back into it. Most of my advice and support has come from Huey(salmonclubber) and Smoke, up in Everett. Smoke is taking a little time off but should be back soon.

I talk with and IM with Huey almost daily and a lot too, with Smoke before his break.

They have both given me good ideas. As mentioned in the earlier post, I am torn between using the building I posted the picture of, and using a couple smaller smokers, one to feed the other. Maybe even my gosm to feed either the wooden smoker or one of the smaller metal smokers. Any of these options will work good. I am just trying to decide which one would be the easiest and most maintenance free.

I probably don't cold smoke more than 6 times a year so I am not getting too worried about it.

One day I will probably just choose one way or another and start working on it.

hey big arm we forgot about dacdots david smokes a lot of bacon and hams in his cold smoker he can teach us a lot about cold smoking he has all the cool toys he has helped me on several issues that i have had in the past

Salmonclubber .. You are on the ball ..Even I forgot about Dacdots. He really uses a cold smoker. His posts are always informative.

ok to be serious- i do want to cold smoke & store some cheese & so does my mil-mom in law but it'll have to wait for winter. i do have a rock walled underground tornado shelter(better known as a hobbit house) stays around 40f from dec-march if it's a decent winter.just waiting....

Hey Gypsy, I usually melt the dang cheese even if it is cold out. I haven't tried it in the new smoke house yet, it should work good in there. I saw where someone smokes the fresh mottzarella, I tried that but it ran LOTS of water out of the cheese, I do better with the regular stuff.

Deer Meat:

Sure looks like it, huh. Might as well be, for all I have used it. Started in building it last year. Got that far and stopped. Now that I have gotten hooked up with SMF I am interested in finishing it up.

Jeeezuusss !! Am I ever gonna be able to eat anything that comes out of it, now ??
icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL Skip

Hey Tim and Hughey. Those refrigerators look like they still have plastic insides. Does that work without putting a plastic smell on the food or does it not get hot enough to matter. I thought you might have to gut it out and put sheet metal on the inside and have a cold smoker and a hot smoker. I would like to do a fridge smoker. I still use a refrigerator box for my cold smoking.I love the pics for new ideas. Any information I can get is appreciated. We can all improve what we have. Thanks,Paul

I've noticed a few of the fridge smokers on here still have the original shelves in them. I thought I read on here somewhere before that there is some type of coating on the racks that is toxic if heated?

does anyone else recall this?

i have no clue about using "stock" fridges as smokers but if ya google mother earth news there's a mag article from around 1974-76 about making a smoker outta an old fridge. there's another mag- i gotta get the name - m.i.l. gets it. about farm life & refurbishing all kinds a stuff-really cool mag.i think it's called "farm life" or living green... something like that.

Hey Brian, I have read that too, I have also read that it takes pretty high heat to release whatever may be in the coating of the metal, so now, I have decided to, "quit reading" , ignorance is bliss.
redface.gif
, and damn I am happy.
icon_biggrin.gif
Terry

man i hate to sound like a professor,know it all, or whatever... but just the words,plastic,food,smoke together in any sentence don't work for me.... i've seen a lot of smoke houses & they were all lined w/ wood... just mho.......

my fridge smoker is porcilin lined it does have a plastic trim inside the door and it needs to be replaced with a piece of 1 inch angle aluminum but its not melting or smelling and does not affect the taste of the food i will replace this soon the shelves are on 3/4 inch angle aluminum and for the sausage i hang them on 1/2 inch woos dowel

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky