our cold smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
you being from the nw,i have to ask... what about lining it w/ alaskan fir or cedar as in a traditional inupait style ??? i just asked about the plastic cause my mother earth thing was for redoing a fridge into a regular smoker. but anything under 100f i wouldn't think the heat would affect the plastic... just a question.

My fridge is the old style. It's all metal. Here is what it used to look like.

Look how big the freezer section was.
Bring back any memories?

Thanks for the reply. I had always been told not to the the plastic in the fridge for smoking. Looks like even at 120 to 130 degrees that plastic would smell. I don';t know what temp. you cold smoke salmon at.

I appreciate you clearing that up for me. In pics it looks like plastic. Good job. Like I said in another reply I have been looking for a good old metal antique fridge so I can have a cold smoker.

cajun_1;86002 said:
My fridge is the old style. It's all metal. Here is what it used to look like.

That's almost the same as my 1952 Frigidaire I'm currently converting to a smoker! I was told not to use the galvanized shelves too so I'll swap those out, the insides are all metal or porcelain and I've removed the tiny freezer section to make space. How about the rubber door seal though? I've been told to replace it with that asbestos chord material but haven't found that as yet, I'm afraid the rubber would be a problem, what are you using?
Jimbo

I am using the original door seal. I have pre-run mine and see no evidence of any smoke reaching it. The temps used aren't that hot. As for the shelves, galvanized needs to get really hot to give off the bad fumes. Again, temps not that hot. I use wire racks on them for the food. The "black" plastic looking stuff, i believe is "bakelite" and not actual plastic. Again, the temp doesn't get that hot. I also have a Fridgradire" in my garage that still works. I use it for brining and thawing frozen meat. Keeps the wife happy not taking up room in the house fridge.

I agree with what Tim says. It just don't get that hot in a cold smoker. Its normally around 90 degrees. I ran my fridge smoker for several years with no problems and no smell except for wood smoke.
icon_smile.gif
Terry

Sometimes.. at that temp, I have a problem keeping my chips (not chunks) lit and smokin. I usually have some charcoal/briquettes not totally burnt from pervious smokes. I just light one up and add to chips.

Hey Tim. I used an electric hot plate in mine. It worked very well and was so easy to run, it proably should have been illegal.
icon_razz.gif
Terry

I wouldn't think the chips were too big Tim. I made my own with a gas powered chipper. They were about the size of the end of my thumb and maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Perhaps you could break your chain saw out and saw a few logs over a tarp,(don't pump the chain oiler) then try the saw dust on your hot plate. also, I found that a thin pan works much better than a thick one for containing the chips. The thick pan takes forever to get hot enough to make smoke. I did have to replace the chips quite often but smokin is my joy in life, so I didn't mind baby sitting the chip pan.
icon_biggrin.gif
Terry

Give the chips.......and the pan too, a blast with a torch........gets 'em smoking and heats the pan some........just have a little self control when you do it.
PDT_Armataz_01_35.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_35.gif

Since I'm using an old cast iron frying pan, (made in China .. not a Griswold/Wagner), I'll try a smaller pan. Chips are pretty small now. Will try the thinner pan first. Thanks Terry ...May try that also Joe .. sounds "hot"

Hey Tim, I tried the cast iron too, it didn't work for me either, I am positive the thin pan will work for you.
biggrin.gif

Hey Joe, are you sure your real name ain't Tim Allen? I remember the show where he made the "Mans" grill! Flames 6 ft high, steak took 3 seconds per side.
icon_smile.gif
Terry

I just tried the thin pan option. If anyone would have seen it, I would no longer be a member of the "OTBS". To many chips.... tons of smoke, thought it was on fire for a minute until I realized what I had done.

icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif

Ok, without sounding rude, will someone please walk me through the process of a cold smoker?

How how is too hot? How hot do I need it for certain foods? How do I create the smoke and still keep it from becoming too hot? What is the best way to make a cold smoker?

How long does it take for certain foods?

I know this sounds like alot, but I have become very dependant on this site!!!
Basically give me the whole idea behind a cold smoker. I will be forever grateful.

Remember, you will get many more responses from the TRUE experts, its a matter of, "trial and error" PM me if I can be of help. Terry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky