our cold smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigarm's smokin

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2007
BigArm MT
Hey everyone, I thought it would be fun and educational to see different cold smokers. I know people like, Huey, Mossy, and Skip must use them often. Here is mine. Its a walk in, under my deck.

now lets see yours.
smile.gif
Terry

Nice smokin room Terry... I think that hill would be a great place for a slip N slide too... sorry been up 26hrs now and starting to get goofy thoughts.. Like the room though
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Hey Jimbo, let me put it this way,
tongue.gif
haha, just kidding. Actually I am hopeing that a bunch of pictures get posted here. I don't care if you have smoked fish and jerky for 40 years with a dozen different set ups, you can always learn something new. This unit works great, but I am looking to see something that rings a bell with me so I can make it even better. Thanks for the good comments guys.
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
Terry

OK, sorry for the old joke.

Here is a picture of one I am still working on. Will be similar to Terry's, except mine is more vertical than his. It is about 4 feet square. Still needs siding, a door and the racks. Have an old propane cooker I am thinking about using. I also have a small electric smoker I might use as a smoke generator. Just haven't thought out the final details, yet.

Skip
8a712d5b_vbattach14593.jpg

Wow ... I'm so impressed, I can't tell you!
Love to hear some stories on what you do and how you do it, 'cause I've have had no experience with cold smokers.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Skip and Tim, my smoke house is WAY too big! I had the material laying around, except for the insulation, so I figured what the heck, also I don't have to bend over and I got plenty of room to work in. Us old fossils don't like bending over much, and bending back up is worse) I heat it with my deep fat fryer , it maintains any temp I wish, I have had it down to 60 something, and up to 130, proably could go higher but there is no need.
Squeezy, you don't need advice from one such as me, I am steeped in ignorance, believe me.
icon_redface.gif
But I sure do have fun tryin.
smile.gif

Debi, yours does what you want with only one unit, who could ask for more?
I forgot to say, home made chex mix, smoked and then crisped back up in the oven is to die for.
keep those pictures comeing folks.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

How about a quick primer for those of us who have never used a cold smoker?

Well sir, truthfully, there are others here with TONS of experience that I simply cannot match, a few are, Skip, Huey, Mossy, Chadpole, Debi, etc, just keep an eye out, they will give you some excellent guidence.
I can say that to cold smoke you should do so at between 70-110 degrees, it just depends on what your smoking. You don't cook with a cold smoker, you just flavor and preserve. Be patient my friend, someone will be along soon.
icon_biggrin.gif
Terry

Terry i could fill that smoker in one weekend with salmon that thing is huge good looking smoker i have a old 2'x2'x8' cold smoker that i have used for smoking salmon i have had it for over 20 years it burnt down twice and i rebuilt it i need to get rid of it the roof is starting to peel off i dont use it much anymore its hard to get rid of stuff like that you know how it is man have i done a lot of salmon in that old thing i got no pics of it cause it is so ugly but it still does the job

i now use a old refrigerator that i made into a electric smoker the temps go from 90 to 212 degrees but i seldom go over 175 with it when making sausage it is a great smoker i just made it this spring so i am still learning on it it has a few hot spots in it that i dont understand how that works but sometimes the sausage on one side of the smoker gets done faster then the other then next time the hot spot will move to the back of the smoker it just keeps me busy checking temps i will get it tuned in one of these days

huey

Hey Huey, great job on fitting the burner into the bottom of the fridge, where is your temp control? It sure don't look like you should have any hot spots, on my old fridge smoker, I put a small fan with an adjustable fan speed in the exhust stack, that sure made things even out. Sure wish we still had salmon here in Flathead lake. In the mid 70's the MT dept. of fish and game, being the rocket scientists that they are, introduced a type of shrimp into the lake. They were supposed to feed the salmon, instead, they ate the baby salmons food source, so now, No salmon and there never will be again.
icon_mad.gif

Salmonclubber ya beat me to it. Have some pics here of mine in progress. Tomorrow I will take updated pics. (thought I had them on my puter) Had a thread about it, but see all the pics are gone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky