Olive Branch In May

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lancep

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
North Mississippi
So Memphis in May starts tomorrow and the BBQ comp begins next week. But just across the state line down here in Mississippi, my wife's bosses are coming in from Chicago. So I'm going to smoke some ribs. Last time we saw them we were in ridgeland, SC and had some great ribs and pulled pork with mustard sauce and hash and rice. Good stuff!!

These are going to be St. Louis trimmed spares. These are my favorite pork rib since I prefer spares to bbs but I hate the knuckle. I trim my own because every pre cut packaged sl ribs I ever tried always have the knuckle and half bones. I got three slabs so I'll do two my way and one Memphis style. So, the tools of the trade.....

Memphis rub, my favorite rub( salt and pepper) ribs, knives, and one cheap beer to keep me hydrated. Plus, a good beer in the reef as a reward.

All rubbed up and tucked into the reef till morning.

Cheers!

Thanks Al!

Alright, lets do this. Decided to do a charcoal smoke on this so that I can just set it up and walk away. I'm a little sad about it since I still haven't been able to do spares with an all wood fire. But with getting kids to school and the bosses coming I just don't have the time to kick back and feed the fire all morning.

Fired up the pit with a couple small oak splits. Let them burn for a few and close up and brought it up to temp. Once the smoke thinned out I put the slabs on.

Here we are at ten. I have some meatballs on there for appetizers.

Too early for a beer? I think not.....

Cheers!

Looking good!!! And it's never too early for a beer when you are smoking!!!

You got that right! Luckily this is a no tie affair.

Ok, bosses showed up right as I was pulling the meat balls so perfect timing. So here's the snack plate.

Ribs had a good bend starting so I wrapped them about hour ago.

This little guy was folded under one of the slabs so I smoked it, chopped it, and mixed it with some rub and maple syrup. Foiled and back on the smoker so we'll see how it ends up.

Getting close now. The sauce has been made and here in a few I'll sear and sauce two slabs, the Memphis slab will get a dust of rub during the sear.

Hey thanks Gary, she's actually the executive director already. My BBQ just keeps the board happy. But, I sent them to their hotel stuffed with a good buzz so my job is done. I would have made a good 1950s housewife.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky