October Weather In Central Texas (Couple Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Yep....the weather is changing: it's getting really weird. this is a picture I took Sunday afternoon on the way to my little pub for a couple of adult libations.

Uh huh...still in triple digits
002.jpg

This is a summary of the weather the next morning
009.jpg

Long johns in the morning, swim trunks in the afternoon,
Robert

Reactions: zwiller and jcam222
The leaves are changing here and the long pants are back on.

I turned on the furnace yesterday and got it ready for winter, it’s always a sad day. The smoking slows down considerably too :emoji_disappointed:

In my little area of Ohio it was over 90 a couple days a week ago. This Saturday night it will be 37 lol.

Reactions: zwiller
The leaves are changing here and the long pants are back on.

I turned on the furnace yesterday and got it ready for winter, it’s always a sad day. The smoking slows down considerably too :emoji_disappointed:
It is the opposite for me. I smoke year round, but once the temp drops and its not 100 degrees outside I start smoking more.

A few years ago where i am it was in the mid 80's. 36 hours latter we had about a snow storm that dropped about a foot of snow.

50 degree swings here in southern AZ also, spose to get our first 40's in a few days.

forecasting a hard freeze here in SLC. mtns got snow a couple weeks ago. stoked for winter and tons of snow!

A few years ago where i am it was in the mid 80's. 36 hours latter we had about a snow storm that dropped about a foot of snow.

Yup, I think that was the one where we lost Electric for 6 days.
It was in October, and the leaves were mostly still on the trees, so the snow could adhere to the leaves. It was 20" of snow, and the tree limbs got so heavy they were falling all over the place. My Woods sounded like war zone through that first Day & Night. Bear Jr had to drive through the woods to get to my house & go get gas for our Generators, because there was a 30,000 volt cable down, across the driveway between our houses. It was 5 days before the power company could even get to our part of the road, because of all the trees down around here. What a Week that was!!

Bear

Reactions: hoity toit
I guess we all have a weather story so let's hear them :emoji_wink:

Quite a few years ago....maybe 15 (??) I was out playing golf on the first Sunday of March wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt and got sunburned. The next day a Norther blew through and we got an ice storm that crippled the entire city for 3 days. I lived at the top of a mountain and there was no getting in or out. I had to walk to the store to buy beer. That sucked!!

Sharing mine,
Robert

Reactions: jcam222
It is the opposite for me. I smoke year round, but once the temp drops and its not 100 degrees outside I start smoking more.
This is true for me . Spring and fall is my main smoking times for sure. Outside in the shade 90F and above with sweat rolling ain't no fun for me. I'd rather throw the extra clothes on and sit closer to the smoker any day

Reactions: hoity toit

This is true for me . Spring and fall is my main smoking times for sure. Outside in the shade 90F and above with sweat rolling ain't no fun for me. I'd rather throw the extra clothes on and sit closer to the smoker any day

The cooler weather allows me to smoke a lot of cheese, jerky and snack sticks. Plus I get to experiment with things like smoking cheezits and nuts. So I tend to more of that in the cooler weather.

After Christmas it just gets brutally cold here. I’ll stick to short smokes like meatloaf and tenderloins. As for the long smokes like pulled pork, I just don’t have the urge to brave the cold anymore.

Reactions: drunkenmeatfist
After Christmas it just gets brutally cold here. I’ll stick to short smokes like meatloaf and tenderloins. As for the long smokes like pulled pork, I just don’t have the urge to brave the cold anymore.
Here in East Tn brutally cold isn't that common so makes it a little easier. Not often but I have done a butt or brisket and started in wee am and kindly enjoyed like an abbreviated camping trip. Gravity lounge couple good blankets on the gravity lounger and some good ones on top of me and mid upper thirties equals some good sleep between adding sticks. Will admit I have investigated some electric options for being able to stay in my cozy bed also.

I'm in East Texas, I too thought Fall was here, but Yesterday and today back in the 90's I'm ready for fall

Gary

The cooler weather allows me to smoke a lot of cheese, jerky and snack sticks. Plus I get to experiment with things like smoking cheezits and nuts. So I tend to more of that in the cooler weather.

My MES doesn't work below 20° F.
It seems to need somebody to plug it in, or something.

Oh Well.

Bear

Reactions: xray
I'm in East Texas, I too thought Fall was here, but Yesterday and today back in the 90's I'm ready for fall

As I'm sure you know, I'm a couple hours to the west of you. We will have record setting high temps today then down into the 50's starting tomorrow night. Go figure...

Robert

Yep....the weather is changing: it's getting really weird. this is a picture I took Sunday afternoon on the way to my little pub for a couple of adult libations.

Uh huh...still in triple digits
View attachment 408087

This is a summary of the weather the next morning
View attachment 408088

Long johns in the morning, swim trunks in the afternoon,
Robert

Yep that's TX weather.
I just hope it is cold enough for the animals to move while I go hunting next weekend. After that I don't care about it being cold but getting lower than the mid-high 90's would be nice.

Also be prepared for the 20mph+ winds and the hail storms to come in. That is coming along with the crazy thunderstorms that freak out and terrify the out of staters hahahaha. May we all have a light tornado season as well.

In January I always look forward for it being cold enough to cold smoke some Salmon Lox so that is my next big weather hope... and the fact that it can be predicted early enough out for me to cure the fish in time and still have cold enough weather to cold smoke it hahahaha!

Well the weird continues. We have record setting high temps today and it's gonna be down into the 50's tomorrow night. At present it's 98 degrees and I just got out of the pool. This is the latest in the season I've ever been in the pool. I guess it makes up for it being the latest at the beginning of the season before I could get in :emoji_laughing: Something tells me though that today is the last day I'll be using the pool this year. Water temp is dropping daily. I'm still fine with it but takes a couple minutes to acclimate to the cooler water. Tracy decided to forsake the pool a week ago, but she is a wimp :emoji_anguished: I on the other hand like it on the cooler side so I'm fine with it....to a point. Rain, hail, and high winds are on the agenda for tonight and tomorrow morning, then temps drop considerably. Rain is good though since we are in a major drought and have not seen rain for months....after over 100 days of triple digit temps this Summer.

Doing the TX rain dance,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky