Dino Ribs: Inaugural Run With The New Hy-Fyre (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well Robert all I have to say is that is just beautiful, nice first cook ,
The kind words are very much appreciated David. Thank you.
If it was not such a long haul from here to Texas , I would hit you up for a slab on a plate like that
I know the feeling....but where have I heard that before?? :emoji_laughing: Maybe we meet half way?

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Sure does look like you built one heck of a smoker, Robert. Those ribs are to kill for--to die for would mean somebody else would get to eat them. Great job!!
Thank you on all counts Gary. I have plenty of those ribs though. Nobody needs to die for one :emoji_laughing: All I need is a couple days notice to get everything ready to go.

Robert

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Oh Man, Oh man what a cook and what a great skill set to put together the new smoker!
Thanks Cliff. I think I'm really gonna like this smoker. Was a far larger undertaking than I originally anticipated but hopefully worth it in the long run.

Robert

I bet there was a big sigh of relief from folks knowing you can't enter the TD Robert. Those ribs look perfect.
I doubt that very seriously Chris. People are probably upset that I can't enter. See...everybody needs a good laugh once in a while and that's about all I'd bring to the table if I were to enter.

Robert

As always....Setting the bar high for us lowly newbs!!! Just gives me an example to strive for.
Loving the new cooker.

Jim

Great smoke Robert!
The ribs look fantastic & I love you new smoker.
About the smoke ring, believe it or not, I get a better smoke ring with my Recteq than I did with my Lang, but the Lang had more smoke flavor!
Al

Reactions: civilsmoker
Great piece of work on those dinos Robert, look fantastic! I think the smoke ring comes with using an offset, don't know why, just the way it is. RAY

Reactions: jcam222
As always....Setting the bar high for us lowly newbs!!! Just gives me an example to strive for.
Loving the new cooker.
Thanks Jim, but you'd hardly be considered a newb. News flash though: striving for mediocrity is not the best thing to work toward :emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Great smoke Robert!
Thanks so much buddy. The ribs look fantastic & I love you new smoker.
Thus far I'm really enjoying the new smoker too and the ribs came out well. Got a small brisket going now and fingers X'ed!!
About the smoke ring, believe it or not, I get a better smoke ring with my Recteq than I did with my Lang, but the Lang had more smoke flavor!
That seems to be the case across the board. Pellet smokers always seem to give an amazing smoke ring for some reason but cooking with real wood always gives better flavor. I have the same experiences with my Rec Tec.

Robert

Great piece of work on those dinos Robert, look fantastic! I think the smoke ring comes with using an offset, don't know why, just the way it is.
Thank you my friend. I've always gotten a nice smoke ring from all my smokers except the cabinet smokers. For some reason, which almost has to be something with the design, I've struggled with them. They cook some great Q but just lack the visual of the smoke ring. Hopefully with the mods I did to this one the past week that will change :emoji_wink:

Robert

I remember something else you noted in our discussion. Soil composition where the trees are grown play a big role in the generation of the smoke ring. The nutrients (nitrogen??) are a major contributor. The oak I used for this cook was harvested locally from lot clearing for new construction of houses. In this area there is no soil, it's solid rock. I doubt that limestone has much nitrogen in it so that may also be part of why there is no smoke ring. I'll be using different wood today so got my fingers X'ed.

Robert
If anyone is looking for nitrogen for their wood shoot me a pm I can hook you up with any NPK you are looking for. Slow release options are available for a little extra $$.

Reactions: flatbroke
Those are some tasty looking ribs Robert smoke ring or not! I know the cooper pot doesn’t do a very deep ring as my Recteq, just as Al said.

That is a nice cooker all around just hats off man!

THAT'S a fine looking rack of ribs, Robert!! I'm glad that you got your smoker dialed in and with the more recent mods you've done, I see that the elusive smoke ring is no longer hiding from you...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky