Not looking good for us in Florida

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Heavy rain is predicted in many areas as the storm passes. When I was in Hur. Allen, after the eye passed, the town where I lived got 18" in a VERY short period. There was a street light on a corner near my duplex. It was raining so hard all I could see was the glow of the light, like looking through fog.

My street started flooding. I sat by my open front door inside the house, under a porch cover. It was the last dry spot in the house. I'd pick a spot to look at on the front walk as the water advanced. When I looked away for a couple minutes then looked back, that spot would be submerged.

The water advanced right up to my door jamb. Then I hear a truck. A big friggin Army NG truck drove down the center of the street. A three foot wave of water came rolling toward my door! I slammed the door and the water came squirting in underneath. So much for the last dry spot.

At least the Navy would have been in a boat! :emoji_white_sun_rain_cloud::emoji_motorboat::emoji_wink:

• Haha
Reactions: GaryHibbert
At least the Navy would have been in a boat! :emoji_white_sun_rain_cloud::emoji_motorboat::emoji_wink:
Adrift.
Wishing the Marines had secured a landing site..

Back to the Hurricane.. No contact with brother in law. Hopefully just power and cell outages.

Edit at 1825L .. Just got word from Tim. Text / cell coverage is limited to impossible around Ft. Meyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: negolien
It's times like this that I'll gladly take our winter weather. Stay safe my southern friends. If it's any consolation we're suffering through massive 10 mph winds here. It's tough, but I think we'll survive.

Prayers to all

Chris

Sure hope Al is doing ok through this thing it didn't look very nice in his area. We had to drive on I-10 a bit today and lots of power company trucks from all over the place heading toward Lake City to stage. There were a lot more caravans of the power trucks yesterday. Saw quite a few semis with big diesel generators east bound as well.

The eye of Ian is directly over SmokinAl SmokinAl right now and it's a Cat 1.

Untitled.png
ianandal.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Should be calm now....but then the back end of the storm blows EVERYTHYING in the opposite direction! There is usually more damage after the wind shifts...the initial barrage weakens trees and power lines, then the shift blows them down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky