Mother Nature , the power the destruction, but we are good

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Mother Nature , the power the destruction, but we are good

I have been off SMF since before the storm hit with working so much and trying to just catch up with things , than putting everything away because of the storm coming, Thank god I did
Because it was a wild ride Friday night and most of Saturday. The storm travel speed slowed down when it hit our region and spread out wider than expected. So here in Halifax area we received more than we thought . Record rain fall was in our area with 192mm was near here and the winds were record winds in the province also.
The damage from/to the trees were because trees were in full leaf still, here are just a couple pics from around the province.

1664233714147.png
1664233735413.png

1664233785549.png
1664233829467.png

These are just a few pictures from around the province . over 2/3rds of the province was hit real bad.
It was a real show of mother nature's power for sure. So many people lost so much and have to rebuild, as all the Atlantic provinces took a big hit from this storm
Other Provinces and also Maine power Corps have sent in there folks to help with the work to help repower us, Thank you everyone
And they have called in the Military to help with the clean up of all the destruction.

Our hearts go out to those that lost so much, it is hard to think of what could have been for us when I look at all the news shows of this storm

We ( Mona and I ) came through it with just minor damage this time, but maybe no power until the end of the week, fingers crossed .
Trees down on either side of our driveway on the road took down the power lines . Could not leave the road until Sunday. Wires are still on the road and the trees are cut enough to drive the truck by .
But as I said for us it was just fixable things that i can get to. Couple roof shingles , already fixed them , helped my buddy across the street fix his roof lost 4 top rows of shingles on his house .
Lots of the broken tree tops from our winter ice storm came down and just hit minor things , but yard is full of waste and the house and garage look like someone covered them with confetti from the leaves in the trees being ripped apart and spun everywhere.

At least we have a good generator and the fridges and freezers are working good .

Thank you for reading

David and Mona

David, glad to hear that you guys are ok!! Sorry to hear about the mess and problems the storm left in its wake!! Hoping you get your power back quickly and that things can get back to normal for you! Thanks for sharing what happened with the storm.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Sorry to hear about the mess and problems the storm left in its wake!!

Thanks tbern for the like and the comment

It was a wild and crazy time . but for us we fell very lucky and kind of sorry that we fell that way also.

But it could have been our property that was destroyed so easy .

David

Wow. Sorry. That sucks. I like to think we live in a pretty quiet part of the USA. We live in Pa. No wildfires, not hit by tornadoes, no hurricanes. Sure we get a noreaster now and then but nothing like what other places around the world gets

Glad to hear y'all are okay.
Hope the cleanup and recovery go quickly.

Yikes on the damages, I heard that parts of the coastline were drastically reshaped, even an entire landmark removed, e.g. Teacup Rock.

We've had the displeasure of at least four hurricanes here in Mobile, AL.
Two of which, Ivan and Katrina, did damage to our house and property.

My wife is a nerd level fan of L.M. Montgomery and was concerned about Prince Edward Island and the author's landmarks.

Wow. Sorry. That sucks. I like to think we live in a pretty quiet part of the USA. We live in Pa. No wildfires, not hit by tornadoes, no hurricanes. Sure we get a noreaster now and then but nothing like what other places around the world gets

Thank you Adam for the comment

We do get some nasty weather once in awhile, Nor'easters for sure but this was very bad. We have had some bad hurricanes/weather
before, but you do not get used to the power and destruction like this

David

Yikes on the damages, I heard that parts of the coastline were drastically reshaped, even an entire landmark removed, e.g. Teacup Rock.

Thanks John for the comments
The Coastline of PEI and Newfoundland were also hit very bad , Most of PEI lost all power and the Coastal towns and Villages on NFLD were terrible with homes washed right into the ocean. 1 death was recorded when she did not get out of her house in time, she was found later, God rest her soul.

My wife is a nerd level fan of L.M. Montgomery and was concerned about Prince Edward Island and the author's landmarks.

Have not heard about the landmarks of Green Gables and others so far , but I heard today about the Teacup Rock

David

Glad to hear from you David ! Even better yet not alot of damage for you!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan

Yes we made it out with just minor property damage, and Mona was quite concerned with the RV down by the ocean campground, as we could not get out of our place until Sunday to check on it.
And again we were the lucky ones as a couple trailers had trees on them and ours was missed .

David

Glad to hear that your family and property are safe David ! And I'm sure your neighbor appreciated the shingle help !

Keith

Glad to hear that your family and property are safe David ! And I'm sure your neighbor appreciated the shingle help !

Keith

Thanks Keith for the comments,

This time we were lucky
Yes he was very thankful , and for me it was just payback when he plowed my driveway when my snow blower broke in the middle of a snowstorm,

David

Reactions: 912smoker
David glad you and Mona came through it with minor damage. I feel for those that got hit harder it really is amazing to see mother natures fury at times.

Glad to hear you fared so well David! We have had our share of hurricanes in my 57 years in Florida, & the cleanup is the worst part. Through all those storms I never experienced damage like we got from a 9 minute hailstorm. Mother Nature is really kicking a$$ this year, all over!
Al

David glad you and Mona came through it with minor damage. I feel for those that got hit harder it really is amazing to see mother natures fury at times.
Thanks Jerry, we were some of the lucky ones. more news of good and bad coming in everyday about how people are making out.
There are reports of a few people that did not make it . An older gentleman that cannot be found and presumed was swept out to sea while checking his yard. A Lady in NFLD her house was taken out to see with her in it. Family in PEI died all they are saying right now is Generator related. So we know what that is .
A good fried of mine lives in Eastern Passage near the mouth of Halifax Harbour, very close to the water did not even lose her power.

You just don't know how it will hit you

David

Last edited:
Good to hear from you. I was wondering if you were in the path.

Thanks , we were not really in the direct path at first , the upper part on Nova Scotia was always the target and it really was , but the travel speed slowed down and it stayed for many hours over top and it also spread or widened .
Just a terrible mess for this part of Canada

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky